Light-O-Rama Forums

lights

philw

Hi

This is going to be my first year, i am thinking of getting 1 x CTB16PC (16 channels) and CMB24D (i take it that is sort of 8 channels)

I have already have lots of lights from previous years but they are all led with a multi function plug (12v) i have been told i cannot plug these into my LOR controller because of the controller on the lights.

Question: If i turn the multi function controller to steady on and use a extension cord, when i plug the extension cord into the LOR controller will it just turn off the extension cord and not be influenced by the multi function controller on the lights ??

Not sure if anyone understands that...sorry

One more question do i go from computer to USB Adaptor to CTB16PC then RJ45 to the CMB24D then use a sequence with 24 channels to run my light show?

Thanks

Phil

I'm not sure what plugging the multi function controller into the CTB16PC would do, at 100% intensity would it not just turn on? I think the biggest downside of that would be the lag that it takes for the lights to turn on from the controller when you turn it on, it would not be fun trying to sequence like that. Maybe there's more information to it then I've been privy to.

You would go from your computer's USB port to the USB-RS45 adaptor then use a cat 5 cord to the CTB16PC then another cat5 to the CMB24D.

You have 24 channels, 16 regular and 8 RGB, in reality you have 40 channels.

Hi philw.

Not sure if any other Aussie has chipped in but as you can see I am in Qld and may be able to give you a bit of a hand on a number of issues to get you started as I went through what you are doing a few years ago.

After that hopefully the forum and all the help the people will give you here will make a lot more sense.

How about sending me an email and see what we can do - were2@bigpond.com

John

Hi Oilmoney

I think i am confusing you a bit, my light were multi function light, but i have managed to change them to normal lights (on or off) so the set-up you mentioned  computer's USB port to the USB-RS45 adaptor then use a cat 5 cord to the CTB16PC then another cat5 to the CMB24D. would work for me??

I was planning the CTB16pc controller would be outside and the CMB24D would be in the house as it is just a board and not weatherproof.

I have some sequences for 32 channels do i need then for 40 channels if so how do i do that.

Thanks for your input

16 minutes ago, philw said:

Hi Oilmoney

I think i am confusing you a bit, my light were multi function light, but i have managed to change them to normal lights (on or off) so the set-up you mentioned  computer's USB port to the USB-RS45 adaptor then use a cat 5 cord to the CTB16PC then another cat5 to the CMB24D. would work for me??

I was planning the CTB16pc controller would be outside and the CMB24D would be in the house as it is just a board and not weatherproof.

I have some sequences for 32 channels do i need then for 40 channels if so how do i do that.

Thanks for your input

I got time on nightshift to kill so I'll write a long one:

I think the issue is not the fact that you switched the controller on your multi function lights to work on/off but moreso that the controller is there in the first place. I didn't realize that you're from down under either, thought that WA meant Washington state as well, my bad. I think you're power supply is different down there as well so that puts that question way above my level of knowledge. LOR sells enclosures that fit the CMD24D board and power supply nicely, I have 5 of them outside for my display and they are fine as long they are mounted properly. One of these should work http://store.lightorama.com/enforpcco.html 

In regards to your comment above about how everything would be connected together, yes it should work, you can connect one controller to the next to the next and so on. We call that a network, as your display grows you may feel inclined to add additional controllers and networks as well. My display this year will have over 40 controllers running on 3 high speed networks.

Most people usually broadcast the music for the display via an fm transmitter, don't buy the whole house transmitter! Search the forums to see why, there is a elongated discussion of the pros and cons of this product, most suggest the CZH-05B but I'm not sure if that works down under.

A sequence that is 32 channels was likely made by someone that has 2 CTB16PC's ( 32 regular channels ), this doesn't mean that it will or won't work for what you're trying to do, the value in having borrowed sequences is getting the timings for the song you're sequencing. Rarely will you get a borrowed sequence and just start it and everything works fine, it just gives you a headstart on your sequencing. There are lots of people on this forum that are willing to share their sequences with you so take a look around. If you decide to use a borrowed sequence and post a video of it then make sure you give credit to the person who created it for you!

What are you planning on doing with the CMB24D? Are you buying the 10w flood pack or the dumb RGB ribbon pack? Either way you'll need to get a compatible power supply for it as well. Once again, I'm not sure how things change electrically speaking down under so you'll have to talk to someone with more knowledge In this topic than me. Luckily for you someone on this forum will read this and correct me or chime in, they're great for that, everyone is happy to help.

In my opinion the most common use for the CMB24D is the 10w floods and dumb ribbons, this brief description will tell you why and give you a clearer idea of why it has 24 channels and why you can buy an 8 pack of 10w floods or an 8 pack of dumb RGB ribbons, check this link out for the floods http://store.lightorama.com/10wrgbfl8pa.html . What does RGB stand for? Red, green, blue. By varying the amount of power ( intensity ) fed to each color ( channel ) you can create millions of colors. Take the 10w flood for instance, we need a channel for each of the RGB colors for the flood to be able to produce any color you tell it to so therefore one flood will use up 3 channels. The CMB24D has 24 channels so you can make 8 RGB channels from this controller.

Therefore yes you will have 40 channels total if you went with what you are suggesting to buy but another way we look at it is you would have 16 regular channels ( CTB16PC ) and 8 RGB channels ( CMB24D ). You could even simplify it more by saying, 16 regular channels means 16 separate light strings and 8 RGB channels give you 8 floods or ribbons.

One thing, if you're planning on having a light display for this holiday season don't delay as it appears like you still have lots of time as it's still August but the xmas lighting season creeps up really fast on all of us. I'm behind on my sequencing like every year...

I hope that this post helps clear up some of the cobwebs. As everyone on this forum will attest to when you first start tinkering with this hobby ( addiction ) it seems pretty overwhelming and frustrating. Keep playing with this stuff and reading/asking on the forums when you get stuck or confused and eventually you'll start having aha moments and then you'll start to have a lot more fun. The first time you see your display lit up whether it's 1000 or 100000 lights is pretty awesome and it's not just one time, you'll get that feeling every year. The first time you see a child staring in amazement or get a compliment from an adult is pretty awesome too.

Good luck and welcome to the craziness!

oilmoney

https://www.facebook.com/fortmacbouncinghouse/

You already have a thread asking the same question.

The low voltage lights with a multi-function plug, you need a low voltage controller.

The CMD24D uses 24 channels. 8 RGB channels, but each RGB channel is 3 channels, one for red, one for green and one for blue.

You mention your lights are 12v in this thread. Do you mean 31v?

• The topic was locked