Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR UV 50W Flood light reviews?

B.Y.R.G.

Since Halloween is coming up in a few months was wondering if anybody had opinions on the LOR UV 50W flood light?  Does it do a good job as a black light?  If you have pictures or video of it being used that would be awesome.  Looking to add it to the Halloween display if it's available during the Summer sale.

I used just about  every type of black light I could buy on my spiderweb through the years never happy so last year I bought the 50 watt UV  flood from lor ,best money I ever spent it's really brite well worth the money.

• Like 1

So you kinda gotta be careful what you ask for on this topic of fluorescent black light versus LED UV. There is a difference.

Most UV leds are around 395nm and most fluorescent blacklights are centered around the 365nm wavelength (the lower the nm the better for UV).

The LEDs are much closer to the visible spectrum so they produce more visible light (purplish hue) and react differently than the shorter wavelength from the normal fluorescent lights.

I'd rather have less visible light and more UV reaction so I stay with fluorescent black lights. But that's just me.

If you don't mind the floor/background/props being exposed a little with the purple hue, then go for LED.

Just my thoughts/experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Santas Helper said:

So you kinda gotta be careful what you ask for on this topic of fluorescent black light versus LED UV. There is a difference.

Most UV leds are around 395nm and most fluorescent blacklights are centered around the 365nm wavelength (the lower the nm the better for UV).

The LEDs are much closer to the visible spectrum so they produce more visible light (purplish hue) and react differently than the shorter wavelength from the normal fluorescent lights.

I'd rather have less visible light and more UV reaction so I stay with fluorescent black lights. But that's just me.

If you don't mind the floor/background/props being exposed a little with the purple hue, then go for LED.

Just my thoughts/experience.

Good to know and thanks for the information!  But like Dennis said its hard to find a decent fluorescent blacklight....any suggestions?

Where in this thread did Dennis say they were hard to find?

They are at local light stores (in my area anyways) and all over the place online.

The 4' bulbs are really good when used in double fixtures. (using 2 bulbs).

Dennis did say the 50w LED is "really brite" (is that purplish brite as well?). So you have to take that and judge for yourself what kind of brite you want because there is a difference between the two.

I ran a pro haunted house for 9 years and a home haunt since I was a kid. Of course they didn't have LED when I was a kid. But during my pro years, I tried all kinds of black lights, including LED.

The LED had the purplish hue wash that I didn't want. I wanted darkness on the floor and walls with a "bright" glow on my fluorescent painted props.

So it's a matter of choice. 

Oh I'm sorry for my interpretation.......I put the word "decent" for "one you like".   Gotta be careful around here.

• The topic was locked