Light-O-Rama Forums

Smart strip act as dumb RGB

asl9622

Hey ladies and gentleman,

I have yet to order the smart strips yet so I can not test this for myself but I was wondering if a smart strip can accept RGB commands from sequence editor. I would like to use some of last year's light shows without having to modify in pixel editor. For instance I am replacing the RGB strip house outline from last year with smart strips. I want to change the ID for the house outline to the new smart strip controller. What I am hoping is the sequence editor will send the color over to the new controller and it will display the same color and patterns as last year. Thanks for the help!

The answer is yes, you will have to make sure that the layout is correct in SE for the pixels and in your network configuration. If the node count is the same then you should be ok.

SPaschall

Each dumb RGB strip only uses three channels whereas each smart strip will use 150 channels, you can't just replace dumb strips with smart strips and expect them to work like the dumb strips.You would need to add the controller and extra channels then program the extra channels in SE to do what you want them to do. You could copy the original color commands from the dumb strips and paste them to all the extra channels in the smart strip but why? Smart strips can do so much more so why the extra expense just to make them look like dumb strips?

Node count wouldn't matter as dumb strips are looked at as one node since they all do the same thing.

Thank you for the answers. I will play with sequence editor and get it set up. As for why I would do it is there are some songs from last year that I just want to reuse as space fillers to mix in with new songs. Also if I modify the old songs I can add cool effects to certain parts without having to redo the whole thing.

1 hour ago, asl9622 said:

Thank you for the answers. I will play with sequence editor and get it set up. As for why I would do it is there are some songs from last year that I just want to reuse as space fillers to mix in with new songs. Also if I modify the old songs I can add cool effects to certain parts without having to redo the whole thing.

In all honesty as I am am switching from 2 colors to pixels, If you are going to map them out in the Pixel editor anyway for future songs, I would go ahead and just apply colorwash effects in PE for the old songs. It should be much faster than setting up all of those DMX channels and networks in SE.

SPaschall

It also depends on the strips and controller used. For example, if you are using a SanDevices controller, you can program a group size of however many pixels that you want. That way you could program a group size of 50 pixels, and a strip of 50 pixels would behave as a single dumb strip, and take only 3 channels in SE. Then next year when you have more time available, you can re-sequence and take full advantage of the smart strip.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

• Like 1

BTW, I would assume most other pixel controllers have the same grouping capability. However since I have only used SanDevices controllers, I don't know for sure.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

Thanks! I am using the pixcon controller. Once I get in front of sequence editor I will take a look and play around. I will post if I have any other questions.