Light-O-Rama Forums

What is needed to test Holdiay Coror Smart Pixels with PIXCon 16 board

cgiambruno

I have been reading through the threads, and I was unable to find anything to answer my question.  If I missed it, I apologize in advance.

I am new to pixels, and jumped in head first.  I purchased a pixcon16 board, and smart pixels from Holiday Coro.  I was able to configure the board, and when in test mode, I can get the pixels to work.  Now, I want to play with the pixels and learn how to sequence them.  Based on my reading, I cannot us the hardware utility to test the different pixels?  So what do I use?  I currently have a G1 showtime Director, and know that I need to upgrade it to a G3.  If I purchase that, and then connect the PIXCon16 to the G3 Director, can I then use the hardware utility?  If I still cannot, how do I get the pixels to work so I can play with sequences?

Thank you in advance for your responses.  

The Hardware Utility isn't for sequencing. 

The Hardware Utility program is used to manage the hardware that you use to control your lights. This Hardware can be light controllers, Digital IO card and/or X10 CM11A controller.

Edited by Santas Helper

I think you are asking how to test in the HU like you can with light strings and RGB dumb pixels. You can't do smart pixels in the HU like you can the other lights, your best bet is to just create a sequence.

Best way to get going is to get a copy of a sequence that someone else has done that has pixels in it.

Delete everything except the part of the sequence with the pixels you will be using in the sequence. 

Change the pixel assignments to match your pixels .  (unit number / universe and channels)

Run the sequence to see how it works.

Make changes to sections to see what the affect is.

Set unit number, then add that unit into the SE. Make sure the LOR control pane is running. It should work straight away.

On 7/13/2016 at 7:23 AM, Mr. P said:

I think you are asking how to test in the HU like you can with light strings and RGB dumb pixels. You can't do smart pixels in the HU like you can the other lights, your best bet is to just create a sequence.

Actually, you can.  The HU has the 'Pixel Console' that will allow you to test DMX, E1.31, LOR and ELOR protocols for pixels.

On 7/17/2016 at 9:54 AM, DevMike said:

Actually, you can.  The HU has the 'Pixel Console' that will allow you to test DMX, E1.31, LOR and ELOR protocols for pixels.

Hmmm, I didn't know that, I will have to check it out. Thanks.

I did not know that either. I apparently did not notice when that got added. Tried it yesterday on a 30 foot 2811 strip that is part of my year round landscape lighting while I was out in the front yard. Worked perfectly (after I remembered that the strip that has been installed is universe 2 - the strip that will be universe 1 has not yet been installed).

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, bbass101 said:

Pixel Console in HU ? Thats new to me. Ill have to check it out !!

Yup...just figured that one out too bout a few weeks back. Works like a charm!

1 hour ago, DevMike said:

It pays to read 'What's new' with each release :)

It would also be nice to see a thread on notifications of new releases.

Some of us get pretty busy and sometimes don't think to go read "What's New". My self included.

And obviously this statement is true when there are users out there that don't know about new releases. :)

There is an announcement for every new release (both beta and production) in the announcements section of the forum (the top section) that includes the what's new information. My suggestion is to "follow" that forum section so you get an e-mail even if you miss it on the forum.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

2 hours ago, Santas Helper said:

It would also be nice to see a thread on notifications of new releases.

Some of us get pretty busy and sometimes don't think to go read "What's New". My self included.

And obviously this statement is true when there are users out there that don't know about new releases. :)

Good points DevMike and Jim but...

Just sayin... several here just in this thread alone indicated not knowing something was there. Including Jim. :)

Maybe the current notification process needs looked at when things slow down. Just a thought, that's all.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink....

Same concept here.  The data is very will documented and announced.  Can't blame LOR if we (and I include me since I did miss the pixel console in the HU) miss something.  I usually do real the "What's new" to see what is there....

The pixel console has been there a long time.   This post from 2012 shows LOR version 3.7.0      The controllers in the lower corners have been upgraded several times since then but it still seems the same.