Light-O-Rama Forums

Connecting 2 Pixcon 16's

Little_b

I am having issues connecting a 2nd Pixcon 16 controller to my matrix.  I started with one matrix and have since added to it doubling the size.  I set them up in PE as 2 matrices and use the group option to show effects on the entire matrix, or 2 different ones on each half.  I can get each half to work independently, but when I try and connect the 2 controllers at the same time I get major flickering.  (Even with no signal being sent) When I disconnect the power to one or the other, the flickering stops. 

I have all the Grounds (V-) from the power supplies connected together.  The GND (V-) on the pixel strands are all connected with no break through out the entire matrix. (This helped reduce random flickering from individual outputs)  The 2 controllers are connected to the same power supply.  They are connected to my laptop via a Netgear 8 port  network switch.  (Running through the switch independently has no issues.)  Power isn't an issue as I have connected power every 63 pixels through out.  The matrix is 63 pixels high and 126 rows wide, and each power supply powering 10 rows with power injections at each row.

Should I power the 2 matrices separately or am I okay to connect them the way I have and I'm just missing something?

Both Pixcon16 controllers show they have Firmware 1.4.8

Does the power supply have a high enough current rating to power both matrixes?

20 minutes ago, Little_b said:

There's a total of 13 30A 360W power supplies.

Sorry, I read your original post such that you were running one power supply for both matrixes. I re-read it and see that it was just the two controllers that were powered from one supply.

Edited by k6ccc

I case anyone is wondering, I fixed the problem.  I don't know if I had a bad grounding issue somewhere and I accidently fixed it, but the biggest thing I did was to have each controller powered by different power supplies.  Now I don't see any major issues.

• The topic was locked