Light-O-Rama Forums

Need help defining my prop for my matrix

christmascrossing

hi-

I have created a matrix of 24 RGB pixels tall by 48 RGB pixels wide.

Each DMX universe has 100 pixels.

I started in the top left corner of the matrix, and went down 24 pixels.  Then moved to the 2nd column, and put 24 pixels going up.

Then to the third column, putting 24 pixels going down. The fourth column, starting at the bottom, and putting 24 pixels going up.

And finally on the 5th column, starting at the top, putting the last 4 pixels (of the first 100 pixels) going down.

The 2nd DMX universe starts on the 5th column, 5 rows down. 

I continue to weave 100 pixels per universe up and down the 24 pixel columns.

How would I create my prop to align to how I arranged my pixels in my matrix?

I would hope that the Pixel Editor could handle this, but can't seem to figure it out.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

How many universe are you using 12 and what controller are you using  in order to use the zig zag pattern in moats controllers you have to use the same number of pixels per string you can't carry four pixels over to the fifth string your way you can only use 96 pixels per string unless you make it 25 pixels tall 

Yes, I am using 12 universes.  I am using HolidayCoro's AlphaPix16.

I am using 100 pixels per universe, except for the last universe, has only 50 pixels.

Hmmm... So, it sounds like I have to route my pixels to conform to the software, rather than the software conforming to my pixel pattern?

I didn't select zig zag in the alphapix set up page, didn't know what that meant.

You have to use the zig zag pattern in your controller in a matrix so it starts all of the strings on the same line

What do I specify in the Zig Zag column?  I couldn't find any documentation at holidayCoro on this.

thanks.

in your matrix 24 vert   by 48 wide  you can only select zig zag every 24 pixels   per string   96 pixels per string you can not carry over 4 pixels to string 5   you also have to do this same setup in the pixel editor

Edited by Dennis Laff

I was able to manually define the prop using a spreadsheet feature within Pixel Editor (Very cool feature!!!!!!!)

I was able to define exactly how my pixels were laid out.

I did not need to use the zig zag feature of the alphapix.

If you use the spreadsheet in the pixel editor prop definition (which I use for everything), you won't need to worry about selecting the zig zag portion in your controller set up.  You will have to define how many pixels per output however. Make sure your spreadsheet counter matches how your actual lights are constructed.

I don't understand why you just don't use the zig zag in the controller for a matrix and setup your matrix in the pixel editor using  the matrix prop its so simple why complicate things with spread sheets

I built my matrix without thinking about aligning each new pixel strip at the top.  Therefore each new pixel strip or universe started at various points along the column.  Therefore, I needed to tell the software exactly where each pixel started in the new universe.

If I knew what I was doing before I started, I could have aligned the start of each pixel strip at the top (or bottom) of each column, which then I could have used the zig zag.

I was glad that the spreadsheet feature was there, or I would have had to reroute my entire matrix.