Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixcon16 enclosure

asl9622

Hey ladies and gentlemen,

I purchased a pixcon16 controller in the spring sale. I would like to use two 12v power supplies but was wondering what enclosure would fit the board and two power supplies. If there isn't one, then I will just have to custom fabricated something. Thanks for any suggestions.

13 minutes ago, asl9622 said:

Hey ladies and gentlemen,

I purchased a pixcon16 controller in the spring sale. I would like to use two 12v power supplies but was wondering what enclosure would fit the board and two power supplies. If there isn't one, then I will just have to custom fabricated something. Thanks for any suggestions.

The CG-1500 is the most popular enclosure 'round the pixel universe (pun intended), but I believe it will only hold one power supply and the controller. I just use 2 enclosures... 1 has the controller and power supply, the other has just a power supply, and my switch for the e1.31 network.

Mike

• Like 1

I too have my Pixcon16 in one CG-1500 enclosure and my power supply in another one. Works well.

Please remember that depending on the amount of load placed on them, the power supply as well as the PixCon16 itself can generate significant waste heat that needs to be dissipated.  

Please be sure to monitor the temperature inside both the enclosure with the power supply as well as the enclosure with the PixCon16.  The PixCon16 has an on-board thermal sensor (you can start the config program and see the temp of the board), as well as a connector for a fan that can be used to bring outside air into the enclosure (based on the temp).  

Even in cold weather, you can be amazed at how 'warm' the insides of those enclosures can become.  Keeping them warm is good (keeps condensation at bay), but don't cook anything :)

Thank you everyone for the ideas. I have a couple of fans I can use to extract and bring in cool air. If anyone has a picture of their setup for fan placement on the cg1500 then that would be awesome. 

I'm new to LOR and I too purchased a pixcon 16 controller. My plan is to purchase the CG1500 box and the mounting kits and adaptor plats from Holiday Coro. I was thinking about mounting two power supplies in one box and the controller in a second box. Does anyone see a problem with this plan? Will someone please advise what type of fan Devmike is referring to and does it require a thermostats or is it integrated? I would also appreciate pictures if they are available. Thx to asl9622 for starting thread, I've been  procrastinating for several days. 

10 hours ago, HBChristmas said:

I'm new to LOR and I too purchased a pixcon 16 controller. My plan is to purchase the CG1500 box and the mounting kits and adaptor plats from Holiday Coro. I was thinking about mounting two power supplies in one box and the controller in a second box. Does anyone see a problem with this plan? Will someone please advise what type of fan Devmike is referring to and does it require a thermostats or is it integrated? I would also appreciate pictures if they are available. Thx to asl9622 for starting thread, I've been  procrastinating for several days. 

This is what I've found to be the best solution. I have a single power supply in a CG-1500 and pixel controller in a CG-1000. The problem I had with PS and controller in the same enclosure is, the Pixcon16, is a bit bigger than, say an E682. It's a tight fit and will work, but then you have to worry about heat, as mentioned above. I also tried to mount the controller in the box with the PS in the door. It wouldn't close once all of the connections were made.

I built this for 2 Power supplies in one CG-1500. I will be building another this year and using them. The Fan is a "Fox-2 Guided Missle" http://www.ebay.com/itm/EverCool-SB-F2-Fox-2-Guided-Missile-System-Blower-PCI-Slot-Case-Exhaust-Fan-/401058992301

The other stuff is from Lowes.

Dec-o-Drain, caulk, screws, hot glue and cheap fiberglass screen.

Here's the post for it:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208139887723742&set=pcb.935098403229790&type=3&theater

Ron that's an AWESOME fab job!!!! Thanks for the idea but that might be little out of my league for now. Pardon my ignorance, was the fabrication required because of a space issue or an air flow problem to keep the power supplies cool?  Based on your experience, is there adequate room to mount two power supplies (standard12v 350w) in the base of a cg1500 box and a fan in the door without  customizing of the box ? I'd lay it out myself but my order hasn't arrived yet. 

Thx for the help. 

6 hours ago, HBChristmas said:

Ron that's an AWESOME fab job!!!! Thanks for the idea but that might be little out of my league for now. Pardon my ignorance, was the fabrication required because of a space issue or an air flow problem to keep the power supplies cool?  Based on your experience, is there adequate room to mount two power supplies (standard12v 350w) in the base of a cg1500 box and a fan in the door without  customizing of the box ? I'd lay it out myself but my order hasn't arrived yet. 

Thx for the help. 

Well first, it wasn't my idea. The whole premise behind this is to keep the Supplies cool and still be waterproof.

Yes, two 300w, 60 amp PSs in the main compartment and the fan in the door. I use it for my power injection. It's not really a hard build, just take your time. Anybody with a bit of general skills should be able to build this. The only tools used were a jig saw, battery powered drill and a utility knife.

This passed year, I used Din rails and blocks. This coming year, I will be using those as well as Andy Harrison's Power Distro Boards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhbWKcxFneo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjWLv8GYzxQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbsH_Z7xbzU

Edited by Ron Boyd

You should check out your local electrical supply house. I purchased a 24"×24"×8" pvc enclosure to compensate for the heat until i could install a better fan. Cost about $30

Ron, I like that fan idea! I think I'll order several right now. Will figure out how to mount them once I have them. Several of my controllers have vents already but some forced air-flow would sure be nice.

3 hours ago, dgrant said:

Ron, I like that fan idea! I think I'll order several right now. Will figure out how to mount them once I have them. Several of my controllers have vents already but some forced air-flow would sure be nice.

If you come to the TN mini in September, remind me and I'll bring it and show it off.

• The topic was locked