Light-O-Rama Forums

OpenGL video driver?

zvacman

Hi all.  When I open the pixel editor it pops up that I need to update my OpenGL video driver.  Is there a website that someone would recommend for me to get the driver from? Every site that I have found wants to add a bunch of other crap that I don't think I want or need.  I'm running windows 8 if that makes a difference. As always, thanks.

Z

There may not be one. It will depend on the graphics card/chip in your computer, check the manufacturers website.

I ended up having to get another laptop to run PE as the one I had was too old and no updates available to run required OpenGL. :(

A friend of mine told me that OpenGL is old and that DirectX is used today. Will the PE work with DirectX if I were to upgrade laptops? 

Z

52 minutes ago, zvacman said:

A friend of mine told me that OpenGL is old and that DirectX is used today. Will the PE work with DirectX if I were to upgrade laptops? 

Z

Your friend would be wrong...  REALLY wrong in fact.  Open GL is the defacto standard when it comes to graphics programming.    Almost all high-end graphics applications, and that includes 99% of games released today, use Open GL.  All major operating systems support Open GL, which includes *nix variants, IoS and Android (not that we run on those, but it does show how widely used Open GL is), even gaming systems like Play Station (their own variant), and Wii use Open GL.

https://developer.nvidia.com/opengl
http://developer.amd.com/resources/opengl-zone/

S4 requires a video driver that supports at least V1.5 of the Open GL standard.  That was released in 2003.  Open GL is currently at release 4.5.

So I gather the answer is that I can't upgrade my OpenGL without getting a new computer.  I would think that this one would have been fine, it's only 2-1/2 years old.  

Z

You need to check with your Video Card manufacturer for an updated driver for that card.  

Who makes your video card?

So did I, though mine showed the card and even had a link to update drivers. But no luck with that.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

As i said before I ended up getting another laptop.

Slightly OT

luckily for me i acquired one for free (was being thrown out by IT department as it kept crashing). Quick update to win 10 and it works for about 3-4 hours before freezing. Enough for me to have a play with PE until I can afford a new laptop (spent all my money on LOR boxes ? )

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I know the feeling, spent all my loot on controllers and pixels. I didn't plan for a new laptop but it looks like that's going to be my only choice.

Z

I had the open GL issue with an intel 4 series express chipset running windows 10. I downgraded the driver to the original one versus one Windows used for 10 and it worked. I would do what Ozaz said and find out your chip set and go to the manufacturer to see how high of GL the chipset/graphics goes. Good luck. I was upset too thinking I could not use my laptop due to this issue.

10 hours ago, OzAz said:

luckily for me i acquired one for free (was being thrown out by IT department as it kept crashing). Quick update to win 10 and it works for about 3-4 hours before freezing. Enough for me to have a play with PE until I can afford a new laptop (spent all my money on LOR boxes ? )

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

(Sorry, slightly off topic).  It's probably dirty.  Find the repair manual online for the laptop, get a set of small screwdrivers, and some Valium or beer (tiny screws are TINY!).  Carefully take it apart until you can see the fan(s)/motherboard.  use compressed air to CAREFULLY clean out all the dust and dirt.  Betcha it works for longer than 3 hours :)

10 hours ago, asl9622 said:

I had the open GL issue with an intel 4 series express chipset running windows 10. I downgraded the driver to the original one versus one Windows used for 10 and it worked. I would do what Ozaz said and find out your chip set and go to the manufacturer to see how high of GL the chipset/graphics goes. Good luck. I was upset too thinking I could not use my laptop due to this issue.

Windows 10 is great because it usually 'Just Works'.  However the biggest downside of Windows 10 is that it 'Just Works'. :P

Previously if Windows couldn't quite figure out what driver to install, it didn't install any.  Windows 10 on the other hand looks and says 'This is the best I have available.  Sure it's not 100%, but it's better than nothing'.  What you get is a device that 95% of the time will work, and for 95% of the people out there that's fine.  Look at it from a support perspective - they just reduced their calls for that issue by 95%.

The problem comes in when you are part of the 5%.  Previously you knew something was wrong because the device flat out did not work.  Now you have a device that 'sort of works', but what you need is for it ALL to work.  If you are the mfg of that device, and you have discontinued it (you are no longer making any $ on it), you may decide that since it works 95% of the time that's good enough! :(

Biggest issue I have with Windows 10 is that it is so "user friendly".  It really is designed so people need know nothing more than how to turn the key and go.  Not real user friendly to anyone that wants to actually "do" anything with windows.  Not sure I am really expressing what I mean, here, but some of you will understand.

I also find the networking in 10 to be a mess. Anyone else?