Light-O-Rama Forums

IDMX-1000 Questions

soflochristmas

OK, seems there is a LOT of DMX expertise in this group.

I on the other hand am a complete novice. So I apologize in advance for the basic nature of my questions but hope you all can help me here.

I purchased the IDMX-1000 for my 2007 show but could never get it to work with my snow machines. Not sure why. Any suggestions?

I was hooking the IDMX-1000 up to the last controller via a CAT5 cable. My controllers were connected to my PC via Easy Light Linker wireless units.

I then had the IDMX-1000 connnected to the snow machine via a 3 pin XLR cable.

Using the LOR "test console" I just could not get the machine to work.

Any ideas?

soflochristmas wrote:

OK, seems there is a LOT of DMX expertise in this group.

I on the other hand am a complete novice. So I apologize in advance for the basic nature of my questions but hope you all can help me here.

I purchased the IDMX-1000 for my 2007 show but could never get it to work with my snow machines. Not sure why. Any suggestions?

I was hooking the IDMX-1000 up to the last controller via a CAT5 cable. My controllers were connected to my PC via Easy Light Linker wireless units.

I then had the IDMX-1000 connnected to the snow machine via a 3 pin XLR cable.

Using the LOR "test console" I just could not get the machine to work.

Any ideas?

First thing to do is to dig out the iDMX-1000 and see if it responds to the Hardware Utility.

The iDMX comes with a default Unit ID of E0. Connect it to the PC using the usb485B to power it. Then open the Hardware Utiltiy and see if the LED on the LOR side of the iDMX stops blinking. Assuming that it does then change the Max Units in the Hardware Utility to the max value and click the "Refresh" and see if the iDMX shows up.

Thanks. Sorry I forgot to mention this but yes, the iDMX was in fact recognized by the hardware utility and the LED light on the iDMX did in fact stop blinking.

Something to check...

Did you set a DMX address on your snow machine as per the manual? The snow machine needs to be configured to use DMX to control it.

I think most snow machines only use 1 DMX channel. Probably the easiest address is DMX Ch 1. This should correspond to E0, channel 1 in the LOR Hardware Utility.

Assuming all is correct and that it is all wired up properly, when you raise the slide control in the LOR Hardware Utility Console it should start snowing.

Once you know that everything is working properly in the LOR Hardware Utility you should be able to get it to talk through the LOR Sequence Editor.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

davidt - Australia

• 2 months later...

What brand of snow machine are you using? Some have a remote that needs to be connected. The remote has the adjustment for output. Also some machines need to set as a non-dim i.e. it is either on or off no %

chris

• The topic was locked