Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16PCG3 twinkle and Shimmer issues on DMX

Ebuechner

I have three of these controllers that I would like to use in DMX mode to simplify my life. I have updated the firmware on all three and when I connect them to the DMX network  the twinkle and Shimmer look absolutely terrible. If I take Renard plus 32 controller and plug it in in the same place it works fine but not perfect. I have over 12,000 channels running through a single e1.31 Network all of my simple DMX devices are on Universe 1 which is connected through a DIY LED Express 6 Port bridge that I built. Everything else I have seems to run without a problem. I've even run both these controllers on the same universe parallel to each other with the same result.

Do you have a terminator on the end of the LOR chain? That may help.

I even hooked them up as the only device on the universe still the same result. It almost acts as though there's a timing differential between the signal it receives and its own internal clock

How do you have the LOR controlers connected? Are you running them off your RGB controller?and are you in multicast or unicast?

From the computer with a dedicated network card running on a static IP. E1.31 out to a gigabyte unmanaged network switch then to a 6 port DMX Bridge from DIYLEDExpress. From their out to the controllers. Everything is running in unicast.

My understanding is this, the twinkle and shimmer is controlled from the hardware, not the software for LOR equipment. When you switch over to DMX on the controllers, you lose the hardware controlled twinkle and shimmer.

Yes LOR uses a special command to tell their controllers to do twinkle and Shimmer internally. But many people have posted that they have switched over to dmx without these issues. 

Ron is right, In DMX mode the controllers turn stupid. Good on the unicast, you have a lot of channels talking there.

I run my LOR devices off my E682 on a dedicated Universe #1 which is configured to only run the number of channels in that network (ei 64 channels on universe #1)  The E682 now tells the LOR devices what to do, the shimmer still works OK but the twinkle wasn't something I used anyway so I couldn't tell you one way from the other. To get around the shimmer trouble if you still have it is to program your own shimmer via .05 tenths of a sec timing. MITA  but works.

What I was trying to say is make sure that your LOR universe is configured to just the number of channels that are in the LOR network. In your case 48. If you are telling it you have 512 channels on that universe it could be lagging there...Worth a shot. 

34 minutes ago, Need more lights said:

What I was trying to say is make sure that your LOR universe is configured to just the number of channels that are in the LOR network. In your case 48. If you are telling it you have 512 channels on that universe it could be lagging there...Worth a shot. 

If I was dealing with an increased cycle time because of the channel count I would have the same problem with the Renard plus 32 controller as I do with the Lor controller. The Lor controller acts as though its timing is out of sync either with the incoming signal or the cycles of the AC that is supplying it. The Renard Plus controller uses a circuit that keeps it in sync with the AC coming in it uses the AC Cycles combined with the pwm for diming.

• The topic was locked