Light-O-Rama Forums

Cat 5e or Cat 6?

scodavis

I did some research but could not find the answer to this - will the Light-O-Rama hardware work equally with Cat 6 cable as well as Cat 5e?

-Scott

57 minutes ago, scodavis said:

I did some research but could not find the answer to this - will the Light-O-Rama hardware work equally with Cat 6 cable as well as Cat 5e?

-Scott

LOR networking is operating FAR slower than a high speed ethernet connection, so it makes no difference at all.

The cat6 cable is thicker. It is hard to fit two cables for daisy chaining through the holes of PC controllers.  The rubber caps provided with CCP/B controllers are also too small for cat6.   Go with the cat5e.

Thank you all for the quick responses.

Bob, unfortunately I just bought the Cat6 cables (before seeing your reply) so I'm kinda stuck now.  I'll find a way to make it work.

-Scott

I got Flexboot.  I'm not planning on using any CCR stuff for a long time - just LOR controllers.

Worth noting - for my day job, I actually work in the IT department for a local school district.  Our enterprise network uses both Cat5e and Cat6 cables, but we pretty much buy and make only Cat6 now because the price difference is minimal and they are a bit more robust.  I was just making sure that the LOR hardware didn't have any trouble communicating on them.

Edited by scodavis

CAT6 is made so it can handle gig traffic. It is overkill in a LOR application, but won't hurt you.

• 1 month later...

Cat5 is good for 100mpbs 

Cat5e is good for 1000mpbs this can also be used in many lengths up to 350 ft before cross talk will cause issues if you have a bundle of wires together.

Cat6 is good for up to 10gig. 

In lor it does not transmit speeds this high even in the e1.31.  There is nothing wrong with using better wiring but if your looking for cost that is where you should make your decision. If you decide to bury any of these wires they make What is called a flooded cable. Using flooded cable will have longevity if you keep the wiring up year round underground. 

• The topic was locked