Light-O-Rama Forums

To PE or not to PE, this is the Question.

futuretechguy

2015 was my first time sequencing light to music and I decided to start with smart Pixels (2811). I browsed YouTube for ideas and I noticed that most people don’t take advantage of the versatility of smart pixels.

Except for Mega or Spiral tree, most shows appear to use the method of turning all the pixels on each prop on or off to the beat (varying color and intensity).

I want to see what I could accomplish with Smart Pixel and the Power of the Pixel Editor to visualize a polyphonic sound in color intensity and motion by aggressively manipulating the individual pixels in each prop (adding custom or native effects).

Will this create a visual chaos and detract for the value of Synchronization?

I am still learning about the Pixel Editor, so in my test show (link below) I used only one Timing track with the Polyphonic Transcription from Audacity. I plan to use multiple timing track and add more props to capture more intensity.

https://youtu.be/3_pSIM40LzU

3 hours ago, futuretechguy said:

2015 was my first time sequencing light to music and I decided to start with smart Pixels (2811). I browsed YouTube for ideas and I noticed that most people don’t take advantage of the versatility of smart pixels.

Except for Mega or Spiral tree, most shows appear to use the method of turning all the pixels on each prop on or off to the beat (varying color and intensity).

I want to see what I could accomplish with Smart Pixel and the Power of the Pixel Editor to visualize a polyphonic sound in color intensity and motion by aggressively manipulating the individual pixels in each prop (adding custom or native effects).

I am still learning about the Pixel Editor, so in my test show (link below) I used only one Timing track with the Polyphonic Transcription from Audacity. I plan to use multiple timing track and add more props to capture more intensity.

https://youtu.be/3_pSIM40LzU

If you are looking at doing that maybe you should consider using Superstar. Superstar can control each pixel individually. I use both superstar and the pixel editor.

I watched the video and while it had some good parts to it, multiple timings are need in a song like that. There were several places that your arches could be moving and were stationary Here is a video from the Hallmark Channel that we programmed for TSO last season using the Pixel Editor. The Pixel Editor was used for the house, floods and the landscaping. My point is be creative but sometimes less is more.https://vimeo.com/157918663

SPaschall

Edited by SPaschall

On Sunday, March 06, 2016 at 7:51 AM, SPaschall said:

Sometimes less is more.

I completely agree with you !!  

BTW  great video you have there !  Very Impressive !!  Congrats !!

• Like 1

On 3/6/2016 at 7:51 AM, SPaschall said:

I watched the video and while it had some good parts to it, multiple timings are need in a song like that. There were several places that your arches could be moving and were stationary Here is a video from the Hallmark Channel that we programmed for TSO last season using the Pixel Editor. The Pixel Editor was used for the house, floods and the landscaping. My point is be creative but sometimes less is more.https://vimeo.com/157918663

SPaschall

What the....first you tell the guy he's not turning on the lights enough but then you go with the "less is more" cliche?

9 minutes ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

What the....first you tell the guy he's not turning on the lights enough but then you go with the "less is more" cliche?

The O.P stated and I quote 

Just analyzing from the original video there were things that could be used in the time frames to add with the song, but as he stated it sounded to me that he wanted to go crazy with the technology at hand and therefor I made the comment of sometimes less is better. Everyone has there own styles and comfort zones  when programming. I actually like alot of movement if the props are being used for a part of the musical selection i.e. bass line, vocals ect. but they have to make sense within the musical framework. I see so many displays that overuse the very cool technology we have at our fingertips right now just because they can, and it takes away from the musical aspect of the sequence. I am not trying to stir up bad emotions or give out bad advice, I personally have been doing this for 13 years and have wore out forums like this to gain knowledge from others. If you or the original OP feel like I have said something that was not constructive, please accept my apology or PM me to continue the conversation.

SPaschall

• Like 1