Light-O-Rama Forums

Who else has a 2016 budget of $0?

Jaynee

Well, after much discussion, my husband and I agreed that our 2016 budget for new Xmas stuff needed to be $0.  We spent a LOT last year (over $1000 between LOR equipment to get us started, as well as supplies and display pieces to supplement our show), and just don't have capacity to make those kinds of purchases every year.  And I had really hoped to add singing faces to our 2016 display (but seeing as that requires TWO controllers, the faces themselves, and the lights to make the faces...).

So this year I'll be focusing on PROGRAMMING.  I used 5-6 programmed songs this year, and was really only happy with how two of them turned out.  So I'm going to spend the year redoing the programming on the other four, and then adding a few more to the list.

We are going on vacation later this year, and are actively saving every penny we can to use for spending money while on the trip (the travel and hotel are already paid for).  I'm hoping I'm then able to NOT spend everything - if I'm able to get home with a few hundred in my pocket, I'll be able to talk my husband into letting me get SOMEthing to add for 2016.  Even if it's just more lights or the Santa LED Projector (that HE wants).

That's what 2015 was for me. Going to try to do most of the 2015 plan for 2016 instead. We'll see in a couple months how that turns out.

1 hour ago, Jaynee said:

Even if it's just more lights or the Santa LED Projector (that HE wants).

Already bought a 12 strip pixel tree this year (on the way) but am hoping to throw in the Santa LED projector later this year if the budget can allow it.....fingers crossed!

Vacations are highly over rated.  You spend all that money in a few days or a week and then its just a memory of how much fun you had relaxing.  But Christmas lights go up every year and require you to work all year long to get the show perfect for several weeks that the lights are on.  Then you get to take them all down in the cold and store them for a year.   Hmmm   wait a minute  Now the vacation sounds like a great idea.  Now I am confused.

• Like 1

I sold almost everything I had. However I started going the smart pixel way but with a low Canadian Dollar due to low Oil prices will my budget may very well be 0 dollars this year. If I do buy anything it with be for 2 boxes of Lor ccps. Then I can have a 20 string pixel tree instead of a 16 ccr pixel tree & still make 4 arches out of 2ccp strings, & have a spare ccp controller/ strings.

Santa LED projector?  Are you talking about Virtual Santa?  I got several projectors off Ebay that have done really well. Got a 3000 lumens projector for something like $80.xx? (Dell). Bulbs for it are not that much off Ebay as well. Really bright.  If this is what your using it for, and depending on where your going to use it, you might could even get one cheaper.

7 hours ago, Jaynee said:

So this year I'll be focusing on PROGRAMMING. 

I couldn't agree more.  The difference between good displays and not-so-good ones isn't how many lights, or singing ______ you have, or how tall your mega tree is.  It's the sequencing.  Always has been and probably always will be.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, George Simmons said:

I couldn't agree more.  The difference between good displays and not-so-good ones isn't how many lights, or singing ______ you have, or how tall your mega tree is.  It's the sequencing.  Always has been and probably always will be.

Great Sequencing makes for Great Lightshows

• Like 1

The budget is always been ridiculously low by order of the wifey. And I'm all about keeping her happy and agreed to keep the budget low and only spend on things around the house. Tomorrow I'm off to buy a $75 plunger for the bathroom

• Like 3

My wife also has a low budget, but to get around that I lie to her.............a lot  ;)

Edited by gmac
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Meegan said:

The budget is always been ridiculously low by order of the wifey. And I'm all about keeping her happy and agreed to keep the budget low and only spend on things around the house. Tomorrow I'm off to buy a $75 plunger for the bathroom

"Honey - so cool. I bought this plunger and they included 30 boxes of minis.."

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

"Honey - so cool. I bought this plunger and they included 30 boxes of minis.."

Your a man after my own heart..............Love it!!

My wife has chickens.. rare colored English Orpingtons and breeds and sells them. So we have a deal this year, I get to match every dollar she spends on her hobby. Hehe, I'm building her 3 more rooster huts this year! 

Yeah I'm in the same boat as Jaynee. With a baby on the way I have $0 budget this year. But I sneaked in a few thousands lights after Christmas sale.  But I like I've heard, it's not how many lights ( or channels) but what you can do with them. 

I'm still paying off last years purchases.  Don't see me spending too much this year.  I may add a controller or 2, but that's about it. I have enough stuff laying around that I can still add a good amount without buying anything other than some PVC.

On 2/26/2016 at 3:40 PM, pikadroo said:

My guess is the minute the sale hype begins you will find your budget. =)

Drew

My plan is to avoid this site entirely once the sale is announced!  

On 2/27/2016 at 7:17 PM, gmac said:

Hey, you could always skim from the grocery money .........Just sayin' :P

I would if I did the grocery shopping - but the husband does it. :D

On 2/27/2016 at 9:05 PM, Robert Burton said:

Santa LED projector?  Are you talking about Virtual Santa?  I got several projectors off Ebay that have done really well. Got a 3000 lumens projector for something like $80.xx? (Dell). Bulbs for it are not that much off Ebay as well. Really bright.  If this is what your using it for, and depending on where your going to use it, you might could even get one cheaper.

Yes, the Virtual Santa is what I was referring to.  By summertime my husband might be willing to part with a couple hundred to do it this year - but that would be our ONLY addition to the display (other than the stuff we bought in the post-Xmas sales in December 2015).