Light-O-Rama Forums

pixcon 16 zig zag or not

indi

I haven't setup my pixcon yet. I am wondering if I need to use the zig zag option or not. I will have a matrix with 10 strings of 96 pixel nodes each. I will have 32 pixels per string using 2 folds. I used the fold option in the pixel editor and it was a complete mess when doing 32 pixel strings. I finely did away with the folds and it works great. But, I am not sure if I need to setup the pixcon 16 in zig zag or just tell it 96 pixel per string, one string per port.  Thanks

It's better to do the zig-zag in hardware (on the Pixcon 16) than to do it in software (using the fold option in the Pixel Editor). One reason is that if you ever decide to change your layout to 15 strings of 64 pixels each (for example), you would simply change the Pixcon 16, and not have to modify any of your sequences.

15 hours ago, Steven said:

It's better to do the zig-zag in hardware (on the Pixcon 16) than to do it in software (using the fold option in the Pixel Editor). One reason is that if you ever decide to change your layout to 15 strings of 64 pixels each (for example), you would simply change the Pixcon 16, and not have to modify any of your sequences.

Interesting point that has given me pause.  In an upcoming document we were suggesting the opposite - that it is better to do the folds/zig-zags in the software rather than on the hardware.  However you bring up a very good point that has me re-thinking that.  Time to re-consult with the other devs.

Thanks for the reply. However, I have completed all my sequences and won't go back. Wish I knew before all the sequencing work. Thanks AGAIN .

• The topic was locked