Light-O-Rama Forums

Oddball matrix

bobschm

I have a 8x50 vertical matrix on the house...sort of. The spacing between RGB strings is unequal and the length is unequal BUT each string is 50 pixels. (Distance between pixels varies vertically.)

In the PE preview, you can see the sequence editor matrix (in white) on the house and the matrix I'm trying to build new in PE (in yellow) below it.

Is there a way to adjust the lengths of the individual strings and the spacing of a matrix in the PE preview? 

The original was done as a group of props in SE, programmed as a vertical matrix in SS, then cut and pasted back into SE for viewing in the visualizer. It was a pain to do it that way since I was guessing in the perfectly rectangular SS matrix what it would look like spread out on the house. 

I want to replace the icicle props with a massive 129x7 pixicle matrix rising and falling along that roof line. How do I draw THAT in the preview?

PE matrix.jpg

For the matrix on your columns, I would create 8 separate props that are 1 pixel wide x 50 pixels high. Then, put them in a prop group with the arrangement set to "horizontal stack". That way you can place and size each column of pixels exactly, apply effects to individual columns if you want, and also treat all 8 as a matrix by applying effects to the prop group.

The roofline will be a bit of a pain because rotating a matrix in the PE preview will not give you the right look. So I would use the same technique as a described for the columns - except now you will have 129 columns, each 7 pixels high. Remember that the prop copy command is your friend here. Create the first prop 1x7 with a name like Eave-001. Then make 128 copies - they will auto-number for you. You still have to place each one on the preview and assign channel numbers to each one, but it will look good after you are done! Don't forget to create the prop group too (with arrangement=horizontal stack) - that is where you will apply your effects.

Matt

whew! Glad I only have to do this once. Thanks, Matt.

Feature request: How about a skew handle on the matrices? That would make pixicles a lot easier. I suspect we will see more people using them as they become easier to program.

Edited by bobschm
Added content

1 hour ago, bobschm said:

Feature request: How about a skew handle on the matrices? That would make pixicles a lot easier. I suspect we will see more people using them as they become easier to program.

Agreed. Although it may come in the form of a new prop shape instead.

Matt