Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixcon16 - All LEDS On!?

wbaker4

I am in the process of working with a Pixcon16 and some WS2811 RGB LEDs - 5v.

After configuring each port for 50 pixels, with each port having a unique starting address 1 is 0x90 and 16 is 0x9f - no wrapping, and no null pixels.  Controller is connected to pixel 1.

I saved the configuration, powered the Pixcon16 off, connected a few strings of the WS2811 and when I powered the board back on, all of the LEDs lit, on all of the strings that were connected and they didn't turn off.  I attempted to run the built-in test patterns but they didn't work either.

I got the LEDs from Ray Wu and do appear to be Ws2811 from what I can make on the PCB in some of the pixels.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Walt

An update...

I have a San Devices E681 board.  The documentation states that the WS2811 is a clone of the TM1804.

So I configured the E681 ports as TM1804 Pixels and connected one of the strings to it and it worked!  So I continued testing half of the new strings using the E681 board.

I went back to the PixCon16 and instead of configuring the ports for a WS2811, I configured them for the TM1804... and guess what?  The Pixels worked!

Anyone have a similar experience like this?

Thanks,

Walt

An update on this issue...  I sent a request to LOR and they responded...

"You may not actually have WS2811s.  The TM1804 is supposed to be a clone of WS2811, but that may not be 100%."

Also, I was having issues controlling the Pixcon16 from my computer as well as the G3MP3.  I forgot about the use of Intensity Files, which requires PRO level.  What's another 50 bucks!

They should change it to allow the use of intensity files when purchasing the PixCon without any upgrade charges.

Thanks for that info Mikey.

After connecting the strings to the PixCon16, and all the LEDs turned on in the string I figured something was wrong.  I disconnected the data line going to the pixels and they didn't turn on (as I would expect) when I turned the board back on.  It wasn't until I started playing with the SanDevice's E681 controller that I realized I could configure the strings as TM1804's.  The strings worked with the E681.

I went back and reconfigured the PixCon16 to TM1804's, the Strings didn't turn on when the board was powered and the built in test patterns worked.   

I still have to upgrade to PRO to get the PixCon's working with the LOR software.  I'll probably do that this weekend so I can play with the lights as I watch the snow fall this weekend on the East Coast!

Thanks,

Walt

Also, I was having issues controlling the Pixcon16 from my computer as well as the G3MP3.  I forgot about the use of Intensity Files, which requires PRO level.  What's another 50 bucks!

They should change it to allow the use of intensity files when purchasing the PixCon without any upgrade charges.

If you use the PixCon16 in E1.31 mode, you can run it with Advanced.  You won't get the advantages of using Intensity files, but you don't need to upgrade.

• The topic was locked