Light-O-Rama Forums

Running LOR in DMX mode

jstorms

So next year I plan to run all my LOR controllers in DMX mode and using the following as DMX interfaces/bridges: sACN DMX Bridge, Falcon F16v2 pixel controller, and SanDevices E682 pixel controller.

I just finished up testing all the compoenents I'll need and below are my notes videos.

For all the videos I'm running LOR S4 Pro on Win 8.1. I have a daisy chain of 3 LOR-CTB16-PC controllers (V1, V2 and a gen3). I renumber them for DMX and show how to setup the above DMX interfaces to make them work with the LOR software.

Why switch to DMX? For improved performance. 

Note that using the LOR S4 software with LOR boxes running in DMX mode still allows for the use of shimmer and twinkle.

Notes:

Renumbering LOR controllers for DMX and running via DMX sACN Bridge

Using E682 pixel controller as DMX Bridge to drive LOR CTB Controllers

Using Falcon 16V2 pixel controller as DMX Bridge to drive LOR CTB Controllers.

Making a LOR to DMX Crossover Cable

Making a LOR RS485 Terminator

Out of curiosity, why do you think you will get better performance using DMX protocol for LOR controllers?

Among other reasons, my 10 controllers will be load balanced across 3 pixel controllers.

Plus I need the LOR controllers in DMX mode for other non-LOR-forum related solutions.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, why do you think you will get better performance using DMX protocol for LOR controllers?

I think that he is going to be using Falcon Pi Player to run his show, which cannot output LOR network.

I have looked at using the Pi, but I have a nice show PC and LOR is great. Also I have other uses for my Pi elsewhere in my display (As DMX Bridges).

As well as this I don't want to loose twinkle or shimmer. I know that if I use DMX they will still be there, just generated by the computer, but I like it done in the controller.

• 3 weeks later...

Correction. I redid the first video on numbering the LOR controllers. Number is done using table from this document.

LOR Unit ID 0x01 = DMX addresses 1-16
LOR Unit ID 0x02 = DMX addresses 17-32
LOR Unit ID 0x03 = DMX addresses 33-48
LOR Unit ID 0x04 = DMX addresses 49-64
etc.

Configuring LOR CTB controllers for DMX

CMB24D in DMX mode

Using Light-O-Rama RS485 USB Dongle as DMX interface

Using SanDevices E682 as DMX Interface

Using Falcon F16v2 as DMX Interface

Making a Light-O-Rama RS485 Terminator

Making a Light-O-Rama to DMX crossover cable

Configuring the E1.31 (sACN) DMX Bridge
Edited by jstorms

I am possibly using FPP this year, I have now decided.

I tried to connect my LOR dongle to the Pi, and FPP found it, but when I connected by CTB16PC to one and my CMB24D to the other, neither worked.

On 1/31/2016 at 3:41 PM, EmmienLightFan said:

I am possibly using FPP this year, I have now decided.

I tried to connect my LOR dongle to the Pi, and FPP found it, but when I connected by CTB16PC to one and my CMB24D to the other, neither worked.

The Pi is going to do E1.31 over Ethernet. Connecting the LOR RS485 dongle directly to the Pi will not work. You would need to use something that can serve as an E1.31 to RS485 bridge. Most pixel controllers will do this, and there are DMX bridges too.

16 minutes ago, jstorms said:

The Pi is going to do E1.31 over Ethernet. Connecting the LOR RS485 dongle directly to the Pi will not work. You would need to use something that can serve as an E1.31 to RS485 bridge. Most pixel controllers will do this, and there are DMX bridges too.

John

I tested with the RS485 dongle and it did work for me when I only had the RS485 dongle plugged in.  I did not get the same results when I plugged the E1.31 in with the RS485.  I am not sure why that happened,  I plan on testing that further before its time to turn on lights again.    I also have watched your videos on the subject and just want to say thanks for doing them.  

On 2/3/2016 at 10:11 PM, jstorms said:

The FPP has the option for an LOR dongle under the "other" tab.

On 2/3/2016 at 4:11 PM, jstorms said:

Why will that not work?  I have four LOR controllers running off two Pi with a test sequence now.  Is this going to give me troubles when I put a full show on it?

I have posted a reply to your thread on the Falcon Christmas forums. I cannot get either of my LOR dongles working in Falcon Pi Player!

Did it work first time for you, KStatefan?

I assume that the problem is with FPP, as the controllers and dongle work fine in LOR mode on my PC, and when does something go wrong with an LOR product?

17 hours ago, Grinch said:

Is your PI up to date?  I think it is 1.7 now?

I worked out the problem. I hadn't checked "Act".

In the E1.31 tab, you need to tick "Active", but in the other tab, the writing in this field is cut off by the next one, so I didn't notice it.

3 hours ago, EmmienLightFan said:

I worked out the problem. I hadn't checked "Act".

In the E1.31 tab, you need to tick "Active", but in the other tab, the writing in this field is cut off by the next one, so I didn't notice it.

Now go tell your FPP you're sorry.;)

Edited by Need more lights

1 hour ago, Need more lights said:

Now go tell your FPP you're sorry.;)

:P

It was all because of them. They made the text box too small!

• The topic was locked