Light-O-Rama Forums

Just went to Windows 10

FarrOut

I fondly remember laboriously typing in the code for a flight sim into my ZX 81 with a whopping 16kB of memory, only to have the power plug pop out and erase everything.

Got the cassette interface after that.  Only took 20 minutes to load.

Yeah, what can we say about the age thing. My first software was direct entry into the CPU as machine code on a 24 bit machine. Learned machine code before anything else. Nowadays, the guys at Intel are the only ones who deal with that level. I use to have to repair the actual CPU which was two major backplanes of ECL logic chips with a whole four 8K Core memory modules. Before that, it was analog computers in Avionics.

I used to repair Nuclear Data ND812 computers - 12-bits and 8K of core memory.  They had a wire-wrapped main board of approx 350 14 and 16 pin IC's.  It had a control panel with lots of rocker switches and incandescent lights!  A company called Bunker Ramo bought the line of computers and upgraded them to 24K DRAM - it became the BR2412.  Used as part of some the store Scanning POS Systems of the early 70's.

wouldn't it be a much better thing to have a operating system that you can control as to what it updates and downloads and installs...

I know there are many of us who do not use OUTLOOK... so why should I have no choice but to run and install upgrades for it as It seems the worst viruses etc. was usually got threw OUTLOOK... and its never ending updating and security issues have been non stop for as long as there has been OUTLOOK...

I Will upgrade to WIN 10 when I have absolutely NO CHOICE TO do it... I tried it and had so many issues with it no way will I try it again... 

bring back the old way of doing things in files and get rid of the ICONS that so many of us have to guess at to find things.... The old left side tree was so easy to use..

Well...since you asked!

Some people don't update when they should opening themselves to security holes.

Even some companies that have IT "experts" on staff don't do required updates and now will have the updates forced (they have the option of delaying.

And you are not forced to upgrade. Keep Windows 7 forever! Or in a few months pay the $120ish for something that is "FREE" now.

OR ....

• Like 1

Some people are revealing their age based on comments!  HAHA 

I don't think any of us are over 30, we just know lots of stuff