Light-O-Rama Forums

DIO/ServoDog Controller and water fountains

ChrisBMacon

I’ve been racking my brain on designing my water fountain display and what components to buy.  My dilemma is whether to us AC water pumps(with on/off), have the relayed in some way.  The other options are to use 12v pumps with a/c converters with relays!

What I’m struggling with mostly is that I don’t want to start throwing parts on the drawing board and figure it out and waste money and time.

I’d like to ask, is the ServoDog used to regulate current for a relays, and are LOR users setting up fountains mostly using 12v pumps with relays(on/off)?  If I use a 12v pump, what type relay would I use to allow the ServoDog to regulate the pump/relay? 

Do I need to go ahead and deside on what pump I want, then ask my questions?

Please help.  I appreciate it. 

No.  A ServoDog is used to control servos, and you don't regulate the current to a relay (normally).  Relays are an on/off device.  About the only exception is a lot of large relays need a lot of voltage/current to pull in, but far less to hold them in the energized position.  There are ways to drop the voltage once the relay has sucked in to reduce power consumption and more importantly, heat produced in the relay coil.

Yes, the first step is to decide what pumps and/or flow control devices you are going to use.  Then you can determine how to control them.

For a water fountain you want constant water pressure and control valves to control the water flow. You can use valves like the ones used for lawn sprinkler systems. Search the forum there is another gentleman who did this exact same thing. https://youtu.be/7OrXZrq6Ecw

Edited by Ebuechner

• The topic was locked