Light-O-Rama Forums

Edit fixtures / props in both PE and SE

Avind

Do you mean you created a sequence in the pixel editor and now want to sequence in the sequence editor?

I created the sequence in the sequence editor and then imported it into the Pixel Editor.  I have two props that have smart pixels.  One was created in SE and the other was created in PE.  I have some nice effects in PE but want to add some additional affects to both props using the Sequence Editor.  How do I accomplish this?

From what I was told you use one or the other you can't sequence the same prop in the pixel editor and the sequence editor in the same sequence.

It is possible to use SuperStar, SE, and PE sequencing on the same prop -- but not at the same time. Once you move your work from one sequencer to the next, it is not possible to go back.

Note that the migration tool in PE that imports from SE is a 2-step process. The first step creates a movie effect in PE that replicates the sequencing in SE. The second step **removes** all of those events from the SE sequence. See the PE Help content if you would like more information.

Matt

Matt, Is there a process of using the three tools that avoids potential challenges?  It seems to me that starting in SE while leaving blanks in the sequence on the props where PE is planned to be used, and then moving to PE to complete the sequence would work.  Any thoughts on this?  (I have not used SS yet and am not sure how that would fit in to this scenario).

Thanks in advance for your expert advice!

Yes, you can start sequencing your prop in SE and leave blanks where you will place PE effects. Then you use the migration tools in PE to bring the work in SE into PE. After the 2-step migration process is done, you can't go back to sequencing the prop SE.

The 2 migration steps are described here:

http://www.lightorama.com/help/import_from_sequence_editor.htm

and here:

http://www.lightorama.com/help/remove_prop_channel_data.htm

After the migration process you will have a movie effect on the prop that spans the length of the sequence. You can then replace sections of that movie effect with other PE effects.

Hope that helps,

Matt

This is the disappointment I have with PE and SE.  Even though PE has many effects possible, there are still some things I would like to do in SE.  And once you leave SE to PE, you can't go back and tweak a group of pixels in SE.  Wish there was a way to do this.

So this year I have done everything in SE.  I even use free software to create effects, as this software lets me convert those effects to LOR SE and I can cut and paste them back into my sequence.  What I do find is PE is a great visualizer, so I am constantly importing into PE - but not saving - to preview the work. 

• 4 weeks later...

In testing some simple sequences I have had some success by programming in SE first and then going to PE.  I have found that it is easier to have specific fixtures set for PE for the entire song.  I haven't tried doing PE for parts of a song yet.  Some more practice and I may get that done.  Right now it doesn't seem like it should be too difficult.  It would be nice to be able to do this all in one program though.