Light-O-Rama Forums

Pexicon 16 used for a matrix

indi

Now that this season is a thing of the past. I am looking toward 2016. I have a few questions. I will be upgrading to S4 and Pro soon.

1. I plan on using my Pixicon 16 for my new matrix 2" on centers using 1.31 system. I am wanting a matrix 25 pixels across and 24 rows. What would you use as far as pixels, 6" or 3" spacing? I was thinking 6" as I may do away with the matrix and use the pixels for something else.

2. Can I program the matrix with SuperStar?  And export the sequence to use as a subsquence in the SE.

3. Can I mix SuperStar and Pixel Editor in the same sequence for the matrix?

At the present time, I am running 5 LOR 16 channel controllers (G3) and 2 actidongle with smart pixels, and 2 CMB24D with dumb ribbons and floods.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

To follow up. I created a horizontal matrix using the LOR visualizer  that is 30 pixel nodes wide and 30 rows. This matrix is 2" on center. I figured using 90 pixels per string and used 2 folds to zig zag each string at 30 pixels nodes each string. Works fine, by my question is, I was reading the pixcon 16 manual on configuring the control and in the advance setting I can give the controller the information on how I made the matrix, (number of pixels, zig zag etc?. Do I need the advanced setting or can I just use the standard menu in lieu of the advance menu.

Thanks 

• 4 weeks later...

Provided you have the requisite number of authorized "CCR's" (pixel strips) in SuperStar for uploading intensity files, it allows for horizontal or vertical matrices...very hard to do with only 2 or 4 allowed but once you are set up for 24 or more, you can do LOTS of configurations, including half strips or multiple, zig-zag forms. The Pixcon 16 is incredibly versatile and allows complex designs. the only caveat is that ALL pixels must be of the same chip family ie either something like WS2801 (what the CCR's are) or WS2811 (and others), you cannot mix pixel types. The Pixcon 16 is also a DMX bridge, that allows you to use stage lighting elements, moving heads and other DMX devices...a LOT of fun to build up a killer show !

Once your SS sequence is finished, you export your SS file as an intensity file to Sequence Editor, You cannot edit the SS portion in SE but have to go back to SS and make changes and then re-export the modified intensity file into SE. The same also happens using Pixel Editor, it will import into SE as another intensity file...these are displayed in SE as blue/striped lines, one for each type of intensity file.

Edited by Rockhammer53

• The topic was locked