Light-O-Rama Forums

Both RJ45 jacks broken on one controller, and one on another. Work around?

sleepy35758

I have five controllers total, and one of them has two RJ45 jacks broken and the other has one. Is a workaround possible? I've been reading some other threads and was wondering if this would work. The following is what I was going to attempt. Controller 2 is the controller with one broken port and controller 5 is the one with two.

1. Computer ==> Cat5 ==> Controller 1 RJ45
2. Controller 1 RJ45 out ==> telephone cable ==> Controller 2 phone jack
3. Controller 2 RJ45 working ==> Cat5==> Controller 3 RJ45 in
4. Controller 3 RJ45 out ==> Cat5==> Controller 4 RJ45 in
5. Controller 4 RJ45 out ==> telephone cable ==> Controller 5 telephone jack

Would this work? Thanks for all the help. Got the lights up really really late this year, and am starting to panic after I ran into this today. thanks.

I have five controllers total, and one of them has two RJ45 jacks broken and the other has one. Is a workaround possible? I've been reading some other threads and was wondering if this would work. The following is what I was going to attempt. Controller 2 is the controller with one broken port and controller 5 is the one with two.

1. Computer ==> Cat5 ==> Controller 1 RJ45

2. Controller 1 RJ45 out ==> telephone cable ==> Controller 2 phone jack

3. Controller 2 RJ45 working ==> Cat5==> Controller 3 RJ45 in

4. Controller 3 RJ45 out ==> Cat5==> Controller 4 RJ45 in

5. Controller 4 RJ45 out ==> telephone cable ==> Controller 5 telephone jack

Would this work? Thanks for all the help. Got the lights up really really late this year, and am starting to panic after I ran into this today. thanks.

There is another way that I used when that happened to me.  Where you have a bad jack you can use an RJ45 Y adapter.  Connect your goes inna cable and goes outta cable to the adapter and then a short (10" or less) cable from the third leg of the Y to the good jack on your controller.  The Y adapter needs to be a decent one.

LOR data rate is pretty slow unless you are using the 500k version.   RS485 protocol allows for stubs but only up to a certain amount.  (google it if need be).   Anyway, I did this last year instead of changing out controllers.. worked fine for me.  I had zero issue with it.  I had Y adapters available but not RJ11s...

• The topic was locked