Light-O-Rama Forums

Tree with 200 pixel globe (Brian's Design)

ebrown1972

Who out there has built the 24 string tree with the 200 pixel globe at the top that Brian designed? I have a 12 string pixel tree now and am thinking of building the globe tree next year. I just love the way the globe looks at the top and I think it would compliment my 12 string tree very nicely. Using pixel strips would make building this tree quite easy I would think. I am just curious for those that have built this tree what they thought of it. thanks

I also have the globe. I get great comments about the globe. I am using the exact tree and globe as Brian. It really adds a lot to the tree. Go for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I used Brian Bruderer with Super Star Lights plan to build a 24 string mega tree this year using 12 sets of CCP's 100 light strings. I used a 24 hook tree topper that I screwed into the top of a 25 foot flagpole (5 inch diameter at the base and 3 inch diameter at the top). I screwed in the 8 row globe into the 24 hook tree topper using some adapters. The globe contained 2 more controllers which I secured with cable ties into four 1/4 inch holes drilled into the corners of the platform. 

Don Teague with Synchronized Christmas in the Dallas, Texas area assisted me greatly in getting all of the sequences and controllers installed and working. I used two 16 circuit LOR controllers with one containing the Show Director. Don split the 14 CCP controllers between the two 16 circuit LOR Controllers which are mounting on the wall inside my garage. All of the controllers were purchased on line from LOR. I purchased and used 6 CCP for 8 row globe for 24 strings sequences from Brain's Superstarlights website. Brian customized the sequences from 50 lights to 100 lights to accommodate my 100 light CCP strings.

I encountered several problems due to the excessive amount of rain (over 11 inches in one three day period) and high winds gusting to over 50 miles per hour. I had daisy chained all of the 14 CCP controllers together using Cat5e cables. I had secured the light strings at the bottom of the tree using five 10 foot lengths of 1/2 electrical PVC pipe which I had bent and connected forming a 50 foot tree ring circumference. I use 8 inch plastic stakes to secure the tree ring to the ground, but that didn’t work. So, I ended up using 24 sandbags spaced every two feet to keep the tree ring from blowing up in the air.

Still, many of.the power cords and data cables were blown loose so I am working on a way to connect the 1/4 inch cord to the tree ring by drilling1/4 inch holes in the tree ring every 2 feet and installing 3 inch long 1/4 inch eye bolts. I will connect the eye bolts to the 1/4 inch cord with 3" extension springs to allow some flexibility with high winds. The springs will be connected at each end with a snap hook.

Another problem caused by the high winds and excessive rain was that the wire looms encasing the light strings slid down the cord from the top. Next, I plan on solving the problem by attaching the top of the wire loom to a very small loop I create in the top of the cord just below the tree topper hook and connect the small loop to an 8 inch stainless cable tie running through two holes in the top of the wire loom punched with an ice pick. Hopefully that will secure the wire looms from sliding down, I may also do something similar at the bottom of the wire looms to make the wire looms taut and increase the uniformity of the lights.

One last problem I had was with interference with my FM transmitter. I had purchased an assembled FM transmitter and it seemed to work fine in the beginning, but had a lot of interference with static on most places in front of my display. I have tried all sorts of remedies, moving the transmitter and trying different vacant FM frequencies in my area, but so far nothing has worked. I'll have to work on that for next year.

I built the 24 strand tree with the 200pixel globe and loved it, we received a lot of compliments and I was quite pleased with how it looked!  I didn't have any issues at all with wind or rain but I did set the controllers up off the ground on stakes.  I used the pixnode strips from HolidayCoro for the tree instead of rope and wire looms and it looked great! 

I will be designing a tree from Brian's design but I will not be using ccp's for my tree. I have a 12 string ccp tree now. I plan to build possibly a 1200 node rgb tree with the globe and do all of my own sequencing. I will be using pixel strips for the tree but I probably will not use the wire looms. I like the look without them. To me the globe just looks so cool and will compliment any 360 tree!

I will be designing a tree from Brian's design but I will not be using ccp's for my tree. I have a 12 string ccp tree now. I plan to build possibly a 1200 node rgb tree with the globe and do all of my own sequencing. I will be using pixel strips for the tree but I probably will not use the wire looms. I like the look without them. To me the globe just looks so cool and will compliment any 360 tree!

do you mean pixel nodes? Are you planning on using strips for a 360 tree?

Yes pixel nodes and yes I will be using pixel strips. I made a 12 pixel strip tree this year with the strips. It was quick and easy.

• The topic was locked