Light-O-Rama Forums

Ebay Power Supplies

EmmienLightFan

Is there anything wrong with power supplies from Ebay?

I would never buy a small chocolate box PSU from Ebay, as I have done that before, but I thought that the silver ones I don't know the name of were OK.

And I got a 30vdc power suppky from AliExpress.

I read about Meanwell but it is expensive.

Edited by EmmienLightFan

I have purchased a couple variable adjust power supplies from ebay. Haven't had any problems with them.

I think if you focus on the seller's rating and maybe look up the rating of the power supply, you will be fine.

As with anything sold on ebay, or even Amazon, a little research and homework can go a long ways.

I have heard good things about the Supernight power supplies that you get off ebay. I am gonna buy a couple to play with.

I once ordered a Supernight dumb RGB strip from Amazon. The power supply came with a counterfeit plug. I threw it away straight away, but just a few days ago I found another one and I managed to break of the IEC connector by twisting it.

The power supply was dead when it came, so I used another 12v 5amp I had.

I once ordered a Supernight dumb RGB strip from Amazon. The power supply came with a counterfeit plug. I threw it away straight away, but just a few days ago I found another one and I managed to break of the IEC connector by twisting it.

The power supply was dead when it came, so I used another 12v 5amp I had.

Yeah, i dont know about the power supplies that come with the Strips. A few of the people i have talked to bought the 350watt 30 amp ones.

How do you like it? I am gonna need to buy about 8 of these next year for my Dumb RGB lights.

I'm very happy with it. I can adjust the voltage down to about 11v where I want it for my floods.

Going on my third season with it and no problems.

it's better to try and source things from the US first. Just saying... I mean though if you want to get ripped off, then enjoy.

Drew

This is not true.

I'm betting It's still made in China but that doesn't matter. Majority of electronics is.

That one is very similar to the one I use. It has the adjustable pot on there too.

Edited by Santas Helper

I'm very happy with it. I can adjust the voltage down to about 11v where I want it for my floods.

Going on my third season with it and no problems.

This is not true.

I'm betting It's still made in China but that doesn't matter. Majority of electronics is.

That one is very similar to the one I use. It has the adjustable pot on there too.

I am sure it is built in China, but unlike the stuff i have bought from an over sees vendor, if i have a problem i can get it taken care of quickly. I will not buy anything through Ray, i am sure his stuff is good, but shipping costs are complete BS. And if i had to send something back to him under warranty, i just spent a but load more in Shipping costs.

I am not buying anything but Meanwell in the future. I just need to decide between the LRS-350-12 and the RSP-320-12

Meanwell is to dang expensive. I got both my PSU's from HC for the same price as one Meanwell.

Meanwell is to dang expensive. I got both my PSU's from HC for the same price as one Meanwell.

I have purchased three power supplies from two different vendors and had one from each fail in the first year.  Right now I can go to Mouser and order a LRS-350-12 Meanwell for $34.83 or go to HC website and get a generic for $37.99.

The Supernight power supply that I got was a desktop type one.

I have a 350 watt power supply just like the one you linked to.

I have never had any problem with the industrial silver power supplies. I have several 5volt ones, 12volts and 30volt.

I just read a post on here that said any cheap Chinese one will fail within a year and it got me worried.

Thanks. I feel better now. Anyone with anything else about them please do share.

EmmienLightFan

can you purchase from a company called Digikey or Newark?

There are tons of companies that sell power supplies; these are 2 that sell some reasonably priced ones

EmmienLightFan can you purchase from a company called Digikey or Newark? There are tons of companies that sell power supplies; these are 2 that sell some reasonably priced ones

Digikey and Farnell I have heard about and I know ship to here, however both are quite expensive. 

what are the specs you need, or what is the spec of the supply you purchased from Ebay?

Just a quick search on Digikey for

12v, 20amp, closed frame is $96

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?pv183=7547&pv1525=44&pv2=209&FV=fff40009%2Cfff80229&mnonly=0&newproducts=1&ColumnSort=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

what are the specs you need, or what is the spec of the supply you purchased from Ebay? Just a quick search on Digikey for 12v, 20amp, closed frame is $96 http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?pv183=7547&pv1525=44&pv2=209&FV=fff40009%2Cfff80229&mnonly=0&newproducts=1&ColumnSort=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

$96 is a lot!!!

On Ebay you can get that for £30, about $40. Even if it only lasts for one season, I think it still saves some money.

I have had one 5v one for nearly a year and no problems. Exactly 5v all the time, no problems at all.

The Supernight power supply that I got was a desktop type one.

I have a 350 watt power supply just like the one you linked to.

I have never had any problem with the industrial silver power supplies. I have several 5volt ones, 12volts and 30volt.

I just read a post on here that said any cheap Chinese one will fail within a year and it got me worried.

Thanks. I feel better now. Anyone with anything else about them please do share.

My "cheap Chinese" one has lasted over a year. Certain people around here dont want us buying anything that is not LOR.

Well, I feel like it is.

Drew

Your opinion does not make you right. Just because you may have had a bad experience, does not mean everything fro China is bad.