Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Control of LOR Controllers?

ryankearny

I am researching both DMX controllers and devices as well as LOR controllers for a home media room / theater.

I realize that LOR controllers specialize in XMas light animated displays, but I'd like to be able to animate about 25 channels in my home theater room.

The problem is that I don't want to have to turn the computer on, just to turn the lights on via the computer LOR interface. I know the LOR controller has one standalone sequence, but 1 isn't really enough, I need a few light "scenes".

Here's what I think the options are:

1. Buy all DMX devices and a DMX controllers that has light scenes. Then buy the LOR DMX interface to be able to control it all for a light show. (I'd rather not do this if possible as the LOR controllers are much better for concentration the 25 channel wiriing into one box)

2. Buy multiple LOR controllers, and use each ones internal standalone sequence to control the 2 or 3 static scense I'd want int he media room (IE all lights on, watch movie mode, off, etc) via one switch on each of the input pins. What I don't know here is if when LOR control units are connected together, if the standalone sequences still control all of the connected channels (and if I can use different controllers for each scene). If they do, then what happens if for some reason two controllers are running standalone sequences at the same time... IE which one wins (I realize this should never happen if configured right, but eh answer will better let me understand how they work)

3. Buy LOR controllers and have all zones run from them. Then buy the LOR/DMX interface, and be able to control the LOR controllers from a DMX panel so I can use the scense that most DMX controllers offer (DMX Switch boards). I don't think this option will work because though the DMX interface lets LOR controllers control DMX universe nodes, I don't think it allows DMX controllers to see/address/control LOR controllers (from what I've read).

Ultimately, here's what I want:

1. 25 channels of lights in a home theater room. (includes can lights, toe kick lights, spot lights, sconce lights, stage wash lights, ceiling star panels, and other things)
2. I want to be able to animate the entire system with LOR software and the sequence controllers.
3. I also want to control the system via some simple wall switch "scenes" for static control of a few scenses (like all on, all off, watch movie, intermission, whatever).

Any recommendations from a LOR/DMX pro on best way to go?
Has anyone else ever used LOR devices for a home media/ stage/theater room?

Thanks!

Ryan

Have you looked at the DC-MP3 Director or the miniDirector? I have been goofing with the miniDirector unit for the past week or so. In the interest of full disclosure, I have not driven any DMX with the device but since it runs LOR sequences, it should have the ability to do so.

It can have multiple shows and accept inputs from external sources. If you have three different moods it might do the trick as it can trigger three different shows.

http://store.lightorama.com/midiwimp3pl.html
http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/mDM-MP3_Man_Web.pdf

DC-MP3 has the ability to have six different triggers:

http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/DC-MP3_Man_Web.pdf
http://store.lightorama.com/dicawimp3pl.html

Tom B (The other one)

Thanks Tom.

I didn't look at these because I don't really care about having the MP3 player, but infact the 6 inputs are perfect. That is more than enough "scenes" for how I'd want to use this.

This will allow me to minimize the need for DMX devices and I think there will be no need for a DMX controller. (and I won't need to chain up LOR controllers just to get multiple inputs, which is good because I really only need 25-30 channels).

• 2 months later...

I was also thinking along those lines for my home theatre as well, although I don't quite need as many channels or scenes!

But I am interested in the original question - can a DMX controller (ie lighting console) control a LOR device? I'm guessing from what I've read so far the answer is no, but I'd like to know for sure. I can think of more than one useful application at my church where interfacing a LOR controller with a DMX lighting console would be handy.

Andrew.

Guest wbottomley

Nixay wrote:

I was also thinking along those lines for my home theatre as well, although I don't quite need as many channels or scenes!

But I am interested in the original question - can a DMX controller (ie lighting console) control a LOR device? I'm guessing from what I've read so far the answer is no, but I'd like to know for sure. I can think of more than one useful application at my church where interfacing a LOR controller with a DMX lighting console would be handy.

Andrew.

Andrew... that's in the works now.

I know a while back he need some beta testers to use a dmx control connected to the controllers.

A problem with using LOR or DMX for home theater is interface. How are you going to trigger events? I don't know if the new IO boards will have IR or RF interfaces. You might also have a wiring issue.

I use X10 controlled via Ocelot. This gives me the flexability to have many scenes and control all via IR or RF remote. The Ocelot allows you to set conditions. For example, my 'home theater' does double duty as my family room. Through the Ocelot, I can place my room in theater mode. In this mode, the dim ramp rates both up and down are different than in none theater mode. A pause command will allow a quick ramp to 50% (for restroom breaks), then a moderate fade back down when play is pushed. Etc. When I enter theater mode, my fishtank lights and moon light turn off. When I exit theater, they move back to their regular timing. Etc.

You might also want to check out Insteon. Its a new home automation protocol that is more reliable than X10.

For the church installation, unless you are programing pre-recorded music, straight dmx (console or software) might be the better answer.

iresq wrote:

A problem with using LOR or DMX for home theater is interface. How are you going to trigger events? I don't know if the new IO boards will have IR or RF interfaces. You might also have a wiring issue.

I use X10 controlled via Ocelot. This gives me the flexability to have many scenes and control all via IR or RF remote. The Ocelot allows you to set conditions. For example, my 'home theater' does double duty as my family room. Through the Ocelot, I can place my room in theater mode. In this mode, the dim ramp rates both up and down are different than in none theater mode. A pause command will allow a quick ramp to 50% (for restroom breaks), then a moderate fade back down when play is pushed. Etc. When I enter theater mode, my fishtank lights and moon light turn off. When I exit theater, they move back to their regular timing. Etc.

You might also want to check out Insteon. Its a new home automation protocol that is more reliable than X10.

For the church installation, unless you are programing pre-recorded music, straight dmx (console or software) might be the better answer.

The existing LOR boards already have one trigger pin on them, and the new DC boards have two (although only one is support at the moment I think). But the real problem I see is how the "sequence" is programmed.

When the LOR I software had a pause function in it, you could potentially have a simple sequence which went ramp-up, pause, ramp-down. The trigger would start the sequence and ramp-up to on, and then stay on until the trigger was fired again to release the pause and then ramp-down to off.

Problem is I think the pause function was removed in LOR II, and reading on here the pause function never really worked properly anyway (I've never used it).

Re the church installation, we already have a full DMX system (console and dimmers) installed at our church. I was only interested in the LOR interface because we have regular set changes, and some sets include special lighting effects. Being able to include LOR in the DMX network could potentially give greater flexibility in what we could do - like maybe LOTS of LV DC channels to make out stars or something. It would be especially cool if different DMX values could trigger different sequences loaded in the LOR board, so you didn't have to do that programming on the DMX console. But no special plans at the moment, just something to keep in the back of my mind as new set concepts come about.

• The topic was locked