Light-O-Rama Forums

Bugs in controller

BlackwolfK9

Darn lady bugs invaded controllers, 1 shorted out channel 4. Anyone ever fix these themselves or send back to Lor

I also am having issues with 2 units. 1st one 3 yrs old chs 1-6 not working. Checked all voltage as far as one can go before removing board.

The other bought last year for a additional lighting but I was redeployed for 11 months, so went to use it this year due to the above issues an

that unit is completely dead w/no display and again check as far as could. So back they both go to LOR, who really stands behind their products.  

I have had 3 burned boards this year.  Two of those were beyond repair so I used the 40% off warranty and bought replacements.  One of them I was able to fix the burned traces and that one is working fine.

I have since put foam in all the ways I think the worms can crawl in.. Hopefully that will stop the wallet bleeding. 

To specifically answer your question, if it didn't burn up the board or the traces and its just a triac gone bad, yes... you can easily repair it..

Depending on your skill with a soldering iron and desoldering parts you can get replacement triacs from LOR or ...

Here is discussion from earlier.

I had some triacs go bad and I replaced them.

I bought parts from Mouser. There is a link in the thread shown below.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/34882-triacs/

Bob

I modified the link with the actual URL .. when I tested it came up page not found .. this one should work ..

Edited by bob_moody

What's the 40% off warranty

LOR will replace any controller at 40% off if it fails and out of warranty.  (I think that is about how it goes).  You have to send the old one back in.. So the two 16 channel units I replaced were "boards only" and with shipping cost a bit over $100 each.  For mine the boxes and cables were all still good, just needed clean up... lots of clean up.  black smoke everywhere..

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just had a controller smoke 8 of the triacs also. This particular controller was running 8 strands of standard bulbs for an arch. Any input on how or why this happens?

• The topic was locked