Light-O-Rama Forums

Electrical Question???

HiramDawg

Don and Tex ... thanks again.

I actually replied twice to this TWICE ... and each time, near the end of the post ... I hit some darn key on the laptop which unloaded the page (like when 'back') ... losing my entire post. So I finally gave up for the night after the second time.

But anyways, I have been reading and re-reading your posts ... and really appreciate all the thought, consideration and safety warnings contained in them. I can really relate to your comments related to the use of the "minis", or twin breakers as I was calling them.

I've got a couple guys who are still going to give me bids and probably more ideas ... but the more I think about it, the more I become tempted to do this (or some things) myself. With the cost of the breakers so low, I could just add (4) full sized 20a breakers to the main panel for now and utilize the (3) 15a I already have and 4th 15a (I've been using for lights that seems to be pretty free of load). That 4th one is for the front foyer lights, which are rarely ever on ... and I've thinking of converting the incandescents in them to CFL chandalier bulbs. Are there any CFL's for chandaliers (sp?) or spotlights which are really 'instant on' ... or pretty close to it?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• taybrynn

• Donald Puryear

• Don Krasley

• Scott Blessing

Update.

So. I got a quote from an electrician I found on CL (craigslist) ... and he agreed to do all these things ... and hookup my new wires into these circuits [ I'll install the 12/3 wires and run the wires and GFCI outlets myself] ... for $400.

It ends up upgrading my subpanel from 50a to 100a ... and adding (1) 15a and (4) 20a circuits into my main panel.

Does this sound reasonable?

I'm thinking I'll run the [12/3] ... (4) 20a circuits to the S. side of the house via the crawlspace and unfinished basement ... and then throw the additional 15a circuit into an outlet below the panel. This will supplement my existing (3) 15a dedicated circuits.

My goals are to run (4) controllers in 12/2008. I haven't decide how many 40A units and how many PC (30A) units to buy ... but (4) controllers total.

Any comments on the best way to run the conduit from the main panel to the crawlspace?

Here are my ideas thus far:

Idea#1 (below)

i1.jpg

Idea#2 (below)

i2.jpg

Idea#3 (below)

i3.jpg