Light-O-Rama Forums

Saved Preview issue

Manti

I modified my main preview for my 2015 Show to only include my megatree to do some effects only with the tree with everything else being SE sequenced.  I deleted out the other props and then changed the name of the preview and saved it.  It didn't save it as a different view but just treated it as a rename.  I've essentially lost the preview I've used with all my sequences this year.  Is there a way to recover it?  And shouldn't if you change the name, it save as a different preview instead of just renaming the existing one?

Mike A.

Renaming a preview should not cause any loss of data. Can you explain in more detail about what you are seeing?

Secondly, a backup copy of the preview is stored in every Pixel Editor sequence. So if you open a sequence and the preview no longer exists, the one from the sequence will be restored - with a name like "imported from ...". You will get a popup message when it happens.

Matt

Matt,

Background on the issue.  I had manually in the SE sequenced all but my 16 x 50 DMX megatree.  I opened up the preview and removed all the props except the megatree.  I then changed the name of the preview and saved it.  Rather than create a new preview with a new name, it just renamed the existing preview.  I guess I made the wrong assumption that it would save as a new preview.  I think it should as that is how the MS styleguide states a file save should work.  I realize a preview isn't a file but it has a lot of the same attributes of one.

On the second part of your comment, when I open up a sequence that used the preview that is no longer there (at least as originally named), it doesn't give you an importing dialogue box.  Since it was just renamed I guess its still technically there and somehow the sequence recognizes it.  The problem is that if you've removed props from that renamed preview that are needed by the sequence you are opening, it tells you that it will delete out those parts of the sequence the next time you save the sequence.

I ended up spending 4 hours rebuilding my preview last night so that it matched my sequences for this year (I hope).

Mike A.

The message needs to have its wording improved. What it means is that only the *PE* sequence for any props now missing from the preview will be removed. Since you had done all of the sequencing for those props in SE, nothing would have been removed. Sorry for the confusion,

Matt