Light-O-Rama Forums

Commands Gone after upgraded to 4.2.12 (had to re-enter)

Jeff140

I upgraded to 4.2.12 from earlier version of 4..x.x and I'm on a Pro License. I completed the upgrade as I was having some issues that were covered in the release notes of 4.2.12. After doing so I tested the show and noticed that the RDS message was not being sent.  Went to the sequence and discovered the command line was now blank.  Checked a couple of others and discovered the same and every one the same...gone.   While entering the command again I noticed another issue that I had not seen before. After I enter the command and close the command window, I noticed that the save button was not active.  I had to click into a cell with the "off" command and then "save" button now became active. I was then able to save the file.

The "pain" was entering the commands again for me but I'm troubled as to why the commands would be "lost" in just an upgrade of the software, along with the "save" button behavior. 

Ideas?

Just an FYI, the "Save" button behavior has been that way as long as I can remember.  If there were no other changes, you had to make some change in order for the Save button to become active.  Goes back well into S3.  Several years at least.

Bummer about the commands getting lost.  That happened to me a year or two ago.  Didn't notice until I didn't get the E-Mail that my evening landscaping show had started..

I'm not upgrading my show computer to the fixed version until after the season.  Although this computer got the 4.3.4 this evening, unless the world is falling apart, I'm not touching the show computer!

Oh crap, just as I was typing that last sentence, the ham radio that was listening to the show on went silent.  Did I just jinx myself by saying the show was running fine????  I quickly looked down at the sound mixer that is between the show computer and the FM transmitter, and the VU meters were bouncing around as expected.  Grabbed the headset and turned up that volume and the show was going fine. Then I looked up at the radio and noticed that the display was off.  Just a dead batter on the radio - Whew!!!  What timing!

Jeff140   

Take a look in your sequences folder for a file  CMDMAP.LCM     This is where the commands are actually stored.   In there you will see a key which is a long number.  The same long number is part of your sequence.lms file. 

When you change the command, that command is not kept in the lms file.   There is nothing to save when you change the command so saving the sequence does nothing.  If there never was a command in the sequence a save is required to add the commandKey.  Try this.  Look at cmdmap.lcm   then make a change to a command in SE and close that dialog.  Now refresh/reopen the file cmdmap.lcm and you will see the value is saved there without saving the sequence. 

You should be backing up the command map file with your sequence backups.  If somehow your commands are lost, remember the sequence still has a pointer to a command in it. The sequence remains unchanged and still has the pointer.   Restore command map to its proper location and your commands are back.   In SE when you look at the command and SE can not find the command map file, se has to show blank.,     If you move your sequence folder or copy sequences to a show computer you must also move or copy the command map. 

Thank you both for your prompt responses and answers!

Bob, thank you for your detailed explanation of the CMDMAP.LCM file and the inner workings of the "Command".  It really helped me to further understand the file.

I'll have a look later tonight, but since I already created the commands I'm not going to spend too much time trying to figure out what went wrong with it.

Again, appreciate all the help from the forums!

Merry Christmas!

Jeff