Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Concept Video

Push Eject

Hi Bob,

Good point! Deselect with a double-click? A right-click? Control-click? The simpler the better.

Charlie

Good job. This is what I was agreeing on as a MUST HAVE feature in the software. It just makes it work so much quicker and makes it VERY EASY to easily pinpoint areas in the timeline where you want to place an event.

One suggestion (in two parts) I would make is that instead of clicking on a cel to position the play head, you click where you want it in the timeline at the top. Also, the timeline at the top would be a good place to set IN and OUT points for the playback range.

I like being able to set a playback range better than zooming the screen to play the screen. By being able to set the range, you can zoom out and see the preceding and following events as well as the selection.

Thank you, a very nice presentation. I noticed that you never saw both hands at once which left one available to hold the beer!

We will definitely be adding a space bar stop/start to the software. The code is already being worked on.

LightORamaDan wrote:

I noticed that you never saw both hands at once which left one available to hold the beer!

! LOL You cannot sneak anything by Dan.

Great news, guys!

Charlie

Push Eject wrote:

Deselect with a double-click? A right-click? Control-click?

Well, right-click opens the popup context menu, which is a standard Windows kind of thing; double click and control-click don't currently do anything special, but they have standard Windows meanings that we may eventually want to do something with (e.g. control-click might allow you to select distinct, possibly disjoint, cells). I'm reluctant to throw away standard Windows behavior, as it's what people are used to.

Is there any objection to something like "Shift-space" not just playing, but also clearing the freeform range first (if there is any)?

There would also be ways to clear it without playing (menu items and such), but this is true in any case.

This is such great news!

I don't have a problem with shift+space ... it seems reasonable to me. Alt+space could be easier by might also be more accidentally invoked which would be bad. I think I prefer shift+space.

This thread is a great example of how really great ideas can eventually become a reality ... because the folks at LOR really want to improve and innovate ... not just sit and become content with 'good' software.

bob wrote:

Push Eject wrote:
Deselect with a double-click? A right-click? Control-click?

Well, right-click opens the popup context menu, which is a standard Windows kind of thing; double click and control-click don't currently do anything special, but they have standard Windows meanings that we may eventually want to do something with (e.g. control-click might allow you to select distinct, possibly disjoint, cells). I'm reluctant to throw away standard Windows behavior, as it's what people are used to.

Is there any objection to something like "Shift-space" not just playing, but also clearing the freeform range first (if there is any)?

There would also be ways to clear it without playing (menu items and such), but this is true in any case.

Totally agree.

How about "Esc"?

Charlie

bob wrote:

In LOR, though, there isn't necessarily a waveform in the first place.

For those that are use to using audio and video software and you selet view wave form in LOR. Those of us that are wave an audio savy it is a lot easier to drag a cursor to a certain point in the wave so you can mark a precise spot for a certain beat or what not and make and mark and event.

Also if you place a start and end marker on the wave form to where you could work within that certain location and then be able to pause the play marker at a certain location within those two start and end markers similiar to the loop that is explain in the video, then use the arrows to fine tune it and/or drag the mouse for the play marker to a certain location that way you can mark an event on a precise timing mark. You could also place the play marker anywhere you like on the wave form and be able to select from there, hit stop and it would go back to where the play marker started so you can fine to it. It would cut programming time in half if this was in LOR II, at least for me it would and probably others that are use audio and video editing software because they use the same concept and function. I could probably throw together a song a day where otherwise I am taking a lot of time getting my events timed perfectly. This would cut that time in half.

bob wrote:

In LOR, though, there isn't necessarily a waveform in the first place.

HUH? In LOR2 one of the first things I do when I'm working on a new sequence is "View Wave Form". Pretty tough to sync your lights to music without the Media file attached.
Thanks Texan78 for explaining this. It's sort of what I was saying way back when this started. Put simply, add the editing features found in most audio/video editing software and you should pretty much have it covered. Spacebar (for Start/Stop), markers (for time reference indicators), loop playback of selection.
The selection could be made in the Wave Form bar at the top of the sequence and not the cells/channels area. Same with markers but in the Time Scale bar at the top.
.... nothing really new in the audio editing world of software, just need it in LOR2.

I think what Bob is saying is that viewing the media file's waveform is not a REQUIREMENT and that if that is the case one cannot depend on it for selection ranges.

I agree with him.

We should finesse selections through a different interface than the waveform display.

Cheers,
Charlie

I don't think I understand what you are saying, but what do you have in mind instead of a waveform?

With a waveform you can see the beat changes, vocal changes, etc and I find it very helpful for me. It is not very navigational friendly as some of the other audio and video editing softwares that allow you to view waveforms but it is real useful. We are after all syncronizing our lights to music and while it may not be a requirement it would make things easier if you could fine tune your events with the waveform viewer like in other audio and video software. Don't get me wrong I love your idea and I am glad that it is being implemented. Just be nice to get some of the other features as well. If you have ever played with Audacity, Soundforged, Wavelab you will know what I mean. Get the play maker right on the start of an exact downbeat or vocal and the right-click set event and you have a perfect timming mark. I know you can right click and set a timming mark now, but you have no easy way to fine tune that mark and being able to see it on the waveform and drag the cusor, pause play from, etc to the precise location of where the down beat or vocal is within the matter of seconds would take hours out of programming. I could time up a song manually in an hour if I had these features where now it could take me days. It would cut the overall programming of a song and animation in half I think, at least for me. At this point I would just be happy with a pause button.

AUDIO SCRUBBING would sure make it easier to fine tune events. Hit the spacebar to play. When you hear where you want the end of an event, hit spacebar to pause. Then keep hitting the left arrow button (to go back) until you hear the audio cue.

In video and audio editing, this technique is used extensively to fine tune timing. The ability to turn audio scrubbing on or off with a keyboard shortcut would be great.

markrvp wrote:

AUDIO SCRUBBING would sure make it easier to fine tune events. Hit the spacebar to play. When you hear where you want the end of an event, hit spacebar to pause. Then keep hitting the left arrow button (to go back) until you hear the audio cue.

That's exactly what I am talking about yes. That would be great and since the ability to play and stop is being added with the space bar already it would be perfect.