Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Concept Video

Push Eject

We've talked about this in a couple other threads... here's a visual of the concept:

Cheers,
Charlie

edited for spelling

Nicely stated. I never understood why they didn't include the spacebar start/stop from the beginning since every A/V editor I can recall using has this feature. I like the mark in/out as well.

Mark

This actually seems like it would be better in so many ways.

I would also say that the current play options could be kept for backward compatibility in what would become known as 'legacy mode' or something. Those options would be eliminated or greyed out if you were not running in legacy mode.

There could be some growing pains because the 'play current view' isn't quite there ... but I really think that using that view was a learned behavior ... because it was better than the other play options but still not ideal.

Maybe I'm not seeing the obvious ... but how would you move the playback range defined after your were done with it and ready to move on (further into the song) into another range?

I can see how you would listen to a song, get to a certain spot and then define a playback range to work on. Then you'd loop and loop till you get it right. Then moving on to the next section of the song to work on ... how would that happen?

Would you deselect the range simply by clicking on a cell and then play from there and redefine a new in/out range ... and then repeat the editing loops on the new range?

Watching your video (which is EXCELLENT, BTW) ... I can't help but think about the old Quicken shortcuts I used to use (no longer use the program) and taking their shortcuts to the context of this thread ... I started thinking that if you pressed "s" (first letter in the word "screen") ... that it could jump to the first cell in the visible screen ... and perhaps "n" would jump to end of the current screen.

Then similarly, for the "range" (if defined), "r" would go to the beginning of the range and "e" would go to the end of the range. This might not be useful in your example, which showed a range that was less than the visible screen ... but in a longer range that goes beyond the current visible screen, it might be handy. Just a thought.

Love the idea ... think it would be WAY way more than a nice to have. Maybe keeping the status quo (legacy mode) ... or making this an optional mode (play head mode) ... would make it more paletable to those perfectly content with the ways things are working today. I know that whether the current way is good or bad, that some people just like it to stay the same ... its a known commodity.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

taybrynn wrote:

Would you deselect the range simply by clicking on a cell

Yes, that makes sense, I think.

Perhaps this is just a jumping off point for an even better set of controls, but it seemed most natural to me.

Cheers!
Charlie

How come every time you post ... I find myself wanting a beer?

My first boss in College always ended his emails with "Cheers" ... like you do.

I have always liked that and use it myself a lot ...

LightsByGreg wrote:

Push, are you running LOR on an iBook? If so, how?

Good catch! No, that was just for the demo.

Charlie

LightsByGreg wrote:

Push, are you running LOR on an iBook? If so, how?

Greg

I noticed that as well..... VM Fusion, Parallels, maybe BootCamp?

-Patrick

Push Eject wrote:

taybrynn wrote:
Would you deselect the range simply by clicking on a cell

Yes, that makes sense, I think.

I don't know, but wouldn't people want to select a range, play it, modify something in it, and then play it again to check out their change? If clicking a cell deselects the range, they'd have to reselect the range after modifying the sequence.

Perhaps instead something like "Shift-Space" could be "Clear Play Range and Play"?