Light-O-Rama Forums

Mac / Parallel / PE extremely slow

Grinch

Anybody else using a Mac with Parallels with pixel editor and having trouble?

Using a 27" 5K Retina, 4 GHz Core i7, 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, using Parallels 11.1.1 Windows XP Pro SP3  S4 Pro

When I go to TOOLS / Effects generator it takes 4-5 minutes to load / see all of the buttons on the screen, the window graphics fill in very slowly, if I wait long enough I can create a effect but when I try and place it on my prop it never

loads on the screen and then I can not use any output effects.

All of the other things in LOR works fine with out any issues.  Super Star works well, I run my show with the computer with no lag, 192 AC channels, 72 Dumb RGB, 12 CCR tree

I'm not having any problem with PE on my Mac everything is pretty much instant but I don't have as many RGB channels as you do. 2009 27' iMac core i7, 16GB, parallels 11 with Windows 10, S4 Pro. I have retrofitted my Mac with a fusion drive.

2 CCRs split into 4 arches, 16 RGB and 96 AC. I currently only have 13 fixtures in PE because my AC controllers can't handle intensity data. I have however attempted to sequence everything in PE, not sure how many fixtures that was but I did not notice any loss in performance.

I run PE with several apps open on my Mac, and pretty much the entire S4 suite open on Win10.

One note I am NOT using coherence.

Edited by mb323

Just an update.  If I run in a Window Mode - Its extremely slow, basically unusable

If I run in Coherence Mode - It Crashes

If I run in Modality Mode I can finally use the effects Generator.  Its a little slow but I can at least do something

I have not tried from Boot Camp yet

Update here, also tried running PE on my 2009 MacBook Pro, 8GB 2.66 core 2 duo and SSD. Parallels 11.1.1 Windows 10 running full screen (on both MacBook and iMac) not modality, or coherence I have performance problems across the board with both of those modes. Effect generator pops up in 2 seconds, 1 second on iMac.

Win10 on MBP has 2cpu, 3GB, 256 MB graphics. On iMac 4cpu, 4gb, also 256 mb graphics.

You definitely have the more powerful machine. My MBP performs fine, so horse power doesn't seem to be the problem or Mac or Parallels. Have you tried creating a basic preview and creating a bare bones sequence? Or a new Windows build? XP is pretty old, but a clean build might help. Both my win10 builds are about 3 months old with LOR newly installed and the only major app installed.

Edited by mb323

Just an update.  If I run in a Window Mode - Its extremely slow, basically unusable

If I run in Coherence Mode - It Crashes

If I run in Modality Mode I can finally use the effects Generator.  Its a little slow but I can at least do something

I have not tried from Boot Camp yet

Holy cow! That's a lot of 'modes.'

I'm not having any problem with PE on my Mac everything is pretty much instant but I don't have as many RGB channels as you do. 2009 27' iMac core i7, 16GB, parallels 11 with Windows 10, S4 Pro. I have retrofitted my Mac with a fusion drive. 2 CCRs split into 4 arches, 16 RGB and 96 AC. I currently only have 13 fixtures in PE because my AC controllers can't handle intensity data. I have however attempted to sequence everything in PE, not sure how many fixtures that was but I did not notice any loss in performance. I run PE with several apps open on my Mac, and pretty much the entire S4 suite open on Win10. One note I am NOT using coherence.

I really am just trying to play with the PE at this point.  So I only added one Prop (12 CCR's 180 degree tree) so I know I am not asking for to much 

MB323  Thanks for your Post, I also Tried with a Full Window.  Do you have 3D acceleration turned ON on the Graphics choices in Advanced?

This is driving me nuts.  This is the first problem I had problems with Parallels.  Just wondering if its  because I am using XP or if it is something else.  If I check Resources in Parallels it shows I am using 2% CPU and memory.  My Mac is just idling.  When I launch Effects generator and it loads slow, my mouse flashes like it is chugging along to keep up, but if I click on the background in the effects generator it helps fill in the missing boxes on the screen.   I Guess I will breakdown and try buying Windows 10 and hope that corrects the issues unless some else has an idea.  Are you running 64 bit or 32 bit Windows 10?

Update   Created a new sequence with only the 180 tree and no programming and now PE  runs normal.
Edited by Grinch

I am running 64 bit win 10. Advanced settings 3D acceleration shows DirectX10 and enable vert sync is checked.

Edited by mb323