Light-O-Rama Forums

Mini Director with MP3 Player firmware update

JoPau2014

I purchased the mini director with MP3 player as part of the showtime central starter package last year (picture of the unit attached). I dont know if it is the Gen3 model since it doesnt say uMP3g3 on it, but everything else looks the same.  This year I added a PixCon16 and 2 CCB100D's.  I have everything sequenced and it works great from the computer.  Everything is setup outside on the house and looks amazing.

When I try to create that same show on the SD Card, and run it from the mini director, nothing happens on the channels besides the CTB16PC.  Those work like they are supposed to.  

I have updated the firmware on my CTB16PC, the PixCon16 and the two CCB100D's.  From what I have read, it appears I need to update the firmware on the mini director also.  The problem I am having is that I cannot connect to it from my laptop and give it power at the same time.  This unit has no power adapter port on it like the G3 manual says.  I connected the mini director to the CTB16PC and then connected the laptop to the CTB16PC to see if I could see it from there, but I was unable to.  How do I update the firmware on this?  Can this unit even play the pixel editor sequenced files?  I bought it last year so is it a Gen 2 model?  I hope not...

post-16441-0-34101200-1449383683_thumb.j

You need the RS485 adapter, connected to the RJ45 connector, the unit will be powered from the network, go into the HU and on one of the tabs it has the firmware button. You will be able to update the firmware from there.

The RS485B came today and now with the correct Comm Port set, the director powers on since the FM transmitter powers on, but the hardware config cannot see the unit to update the firmare.  I select the mp3 player, select the file and click download to start the process, but it stalls with the Status of Loading, and under activity it says locate unit.  Nothing happens.  I can cancel it.  I tried to locate the unit but it comes back with 0 devices found.  I know that is not in the instructions but I tried it.  I rebooted the computer and started again with the same results.

post-16441-0-18036300-1449708513_thumb.j

What does the "fm transmitter powers on" mean? The HU will not see the director. You said you didn't know what version you had, if the HU won't load the file, you may be trying the wrong  file. The way LOR has those file names in the firmware list sucks, you can't determine easily what file to use.

When the mini director gets power it is wired to the FM Transmitter to power it also.  When I connect the new RS485B to the mini director, the FM Transmitter is getting power from it to turn on.  When I was connecting it with the non power boosted RS485, the FM Transmitter would not turn on.  So from that point it seems that the mini director is getting power.  I think I downloaded the correct version, but like several other issues in this setup I could be wrong.  I dont think I am even to that point though since the firmware update cant see the mp3 player.  I will try one of the other director files (without the internal clock) and see if that does anything different.

• 1 year later...
11 minutes ago, Sgmaitland said:

Did you find a solution?  I have been unable to check/update the firmware on my mini director.

Thanks

You may want to start a new thread as this one is two years old and the OP has not been logged in since last January.

• The topic was locked