Light-O-Rama Forums

6 ch RGB Star w/cmd16d 12v

djkevinj

Made a 6 ch rgb Star for my mega tree. There are 5 pixels on ch 1, 5 on ch2 ,10 ch3, 20 ch4 ,20 ch5 ,30 ch 6 .

Ch 3 is the only one that works.  I tested the lights with a power supply and they tested fine.  I tried new cat5 cable. Using a 12v 33amp power supply. Using the S4.2  

Any Thoughts

KJ

A CMB-16D only has 16 channels, you're trying to create 6 RGB channels which means you need a minimum of 18 channels to do that.

KJ,

It's confusing what you are doing.  I assume up have 6 strings of dumb pixels.  A RGB pixel (or group of dumb pixels in this case) takes 3 channels - one each for Red, Green, & Blue.  Therefore as Oilmoney said, 6 RGB pixels (or groups in this case) would take 18 channels and the board only supports 16 channels.  If this is not what you're doing, we need a more detailed explanation.

What pixels are you using (a link to the item you bought is the best way to answer that), and how do you have the pixels wired?

Below is a portion of my spare CMB16D-QC hooked up to a test jig I built.  The channels of concern here are channels 13 (Red), 14 (Green), & 15 (Blue).

Between the 3 channels, there are 4 wires hooked up.  They are marked with color marking tape (I didn't have the right heat shrink tubing the day I wired this).  I will refer to the wires by the color of the tape, and the connection on the board that the wire is connected to.  The wires are:

Red = Channel 13- (Output for the Red channel)

White - Channel 13+ (Common + voltage for all three colors)

Green = Channel 14- (Output for the Green channel)

Blue = Channel 15- (Output for the Blue channel)

All the + connections on each half of the board are tied together, so I could have picked up + voltage (12V in this case) from any + connection on the same side of the card.

CMB16D_wiring.jpg

Does this make sense?

Let mean explain further.  I have a total of 100 dumb pixels 12 volts.  Divide them up to make a 6 channel Star. Only wanted them to show white . so I connected the red blue green together. Only needed 6 channels.

The problem is only channel 3 works, using a 12v  33 amp power source and S4

Hope this gave you more info and Thanks for the detail

KJ 

Yes, that does explain it better.  My guess is a wiring error.  Have you confirmed that each group of pixels works correctly if you hook them directly up to the power supply rather than to the controller?  That would confirm that they pixels as a group are wired right.

• The topic was locked