Light-O-Rama Forums

Does a controller need to be set to what type of cable is coming in?

timjahn

I have two controllers. Controller A is connected to the PC running the show via an Ethernet cord. Controller A is connected to Controller B via a phone cord.

The LOR software isn't recognizing either controller. I read in the LOR getting started guide that some controllers have selectors that specify whether an Ethernet cable or a phone cable is coming in. Is this true? I don't see any such selector on my controllers.

Why else would my software not be recognizing either controller?

You are using a USB485 adapter, right? You need to have that connected to your computer via the USB cable, and then the controller connected to that.

There is no setting to select phone cord or cat5 data cable cord.

I have two controllers. Controller A is connected to the PC running the show via an Ethernet cord. Controller A is connected to Controller B via a phone cord.

Not trying to be picky.  Please don't refer to the Cat-5 cable going between the PC and Controller A as an ethernet cable.  Yes, ethernet does normally use the same type of cable, but LOR controllers (except the PixCon) DO NOT use ethernet.  They use a RS-485 serial connection.  Plugging a LOR controller into an ethernet connection risks damage to either the LOR controller or the ethernet device that it's plugged into - or both. 

As Don said, the cable from your controller needs to plug into RS-485 adapter which in turn plugs into a USB connector on your computer.

BTW, the reason I'm being quite explicit about this is because many new people on the forum think that it is ethernet, and using the term ethernet to refer to the Cat-5 cable helps to continue that misconception.

Dang, I remember a few years ago I used to be real picky about this Ethernet stuff and I got a lot of crap about me being picky. I see that this issue has gotten a lot of people in trouble with their hardware in the past year or so. Looks like a lot of the new people have done a real good job education. Thanks for people like you Jim, maybe in time we can put this Ethernet stuff at rest. Keep up the good work Jim

• The topic was locked