Light-O-Rama Forums

Beat Wizard Tutorial

Ben Hopkins

Hi Bob

I have read the help file, maybe I am not just understanding it correctly, I can get the main beat down with no problem, when I play with the other setting, such as 2x faster or slower it just does not look right to me. I did not know if someone out there had made a video of how to use the other setting's. I set my timing to 0.5 and after I use the beat wizard it seem to put these lines down the grids, I guess that is showing the beat as well. not sure if this makes sense to you or not ;)

Thanks

Ben

When I use the beat wizard or VU wizard, I create a new channel and select turn on a channel. Having all those timing marks gets confusion and wrecks havoc on cut and paste.

Using the VU wizard, you have to turn down (more left) the threshold. Do this incrementally while previewing. You will see the trigger points and can adjust accordingly.

Ben Hopkins wrote:

I set my timing to 0.5 and after I use the beat wizard it seem to put these lines down the grids

Hi,

The Beat Wizard doesn't pay any attention to where any pre-existing timings are. It just sticks timings where it thinks the beat is.

I think that it's probably best to use the Beat Wizard instead of "timings every half second (or whatever)", rather than in addition to that. The combination of the two would probably be confusing.

But if you do want both, note that you can put your "half second" timings in one track, and let the Beat Wizard put its timings in a different track, so that they don't get confused with each other.

As for the "2x faster", that makes the Beat Wizard stick in two equally spaced timings for every one that it otherwise would have. For example, consider "Mary Had a Little Lamb". The Beat Wizard might think the beat is like this (beats shown in bold):

Ma - ry - had - a - lit - tle - lamb - (rest) - lit - tle - lamb - (rest) - lit - tle - lamb - (rest)

If that's what it thought the beats were, then at 1x speed, it would insert four timings, one on "Ma" and one on each of the three "lits".

But if you changed it to 2x faster, it would insert eight timings:

Ma - ry - had - a - lit - tle - lamb - (rest) - lit - tle - lamb - (rest) - lit - tle - lamb - (rest)

And if you changed it to 2x slower, it would only insert two timings:

It probably would be easier to see what it's doing if you do it into a track that originally has no timings, so please give that a shot. And please let me know if you have any other questions about it.

I use the beat wizard in a separate track, along with a track with .05 sec timings. Then you get the best of both worlds...

I should create a "tracks tutorial". I don't consider myself an expert on them, but it would be a starting point for people to expand on and maybe I'd end up learning something myself...

-Tim

Hey Tim

That's a great idea for people like me, I just started to play with the tracks and that is helping me alot, but a seeing how someone else does it always helps in others learning process.

Ben

Tim Fischer wrote:

I use the beat wizard in a separate track, along with a track with .05 sec timings. Then you get the best of both worlds...

I should create a "tracks tutorial". I don't consider myself an expert on them, but it would be a starting point for people to expand on and maybe I'd end up learning something myself...

-Tim

Yes Tim,

You should make a tutorial, I've used LOR1 this year for the first time, have downloaded the Gamma version, but do not understand tracks yet...

Well it's officially on my to-do list, but don't expect it in the next few weeks. Could even be months, but I hope not...

-Tim

kavsher wrote:

I hope this is not a stupid question but

does lor 2 have the wave with beats like d light

Hi,

If you are talking about the waveform then LOR I and LOR II have it. In LOR II, the bew Beat Wizard actually does a reasonable job of locating the beats in he song and placing timing events in the sequence for you.

Dan

• 2 months later...

Hi Tim,

Have you had time to make that tracks tutorial? I am lost and Michaels tutorial has me stumped. I had trouble with LOR1 and more trouble with LOR2. From what I read I need to know the beat wizzard and sub divideing timings. If you have anything that you could help me with I would appreciate it.

Thank you Mike and Patti from Florida

Mike and Patti,

Perhaps if you tell us were you are lost? There really is no magic to tracks, just another tool to use.

I had 32 channels last year, will have 112 this year. Very little experience last year because I started in Nov. and had to purchase some downloads to make it work last year. This year I plan on arches, mega tree, firework pole,and mini trees, some of which I had last year. I believe it would be easier to separate those four things into tracks and use the beat wizard or tapper wizard to help with the sequencing beats. I have watched Michaels tutorials on how he does the tracks and beat wizard several times and it is just not sinking in. I think I need it explained in computer dummy language for me to get it. Any help from anyone will be appreciated. Thank you Mike and Patti

mike and patti wrote:

I had 32 channels last year, will have 112 this year. Very little experience last year because I started in Nov. and had to purchase some downloads to make it work last year. This year I plan on arches, mega tree, firework pole,and mini trees, some of which I had last year. I believe it would be easier to separate those four things into tracks and use the beat wizard or tapper wizard to help with the sequencing beats. I have watched Michaels tutorials on how he does the tracks and beat wizard several times and it is just not sinking in. I think I need it explained in computer dummy language for me to get it. Any help from anyone will be appreciated. Thank you Mike and Patti

Is there a particular piece that is confusing? You'll find the forums more helpful if you ask very pointed, specific questions. A general question about the whole process can be very difficult to answer.

Also, don't be afraid to offer constructive criticism on the videos. It will help make future tutorials easier to understand. :)

Mike and Patti,

Using the beat wizard can also make sweeps and/or chases a snap. Take the number of elements you're working with (say a nine-section arch) and subdivide a beat into that many (9) segments. And if the number of things you're working with are multiples of four, so much the better.

Tim,

I'm looking forward to your tutorial.

George Simmons

George Simmons wrote:

Mike and Patti,

Using the beat wizard can also make sweeps and/or chases a snap. Take the number of elements you're working with (say a nine-section arch) and subdivide a beat into that many (9) segments. And if the number of things you're working with are multiples of four, so much the better.

Tim,

I'm looking forward to your tutorial.

George Simmons

Wow Goerge, never thought of that. Good idea