Light-O-Rama Forums

Best way to do house in pixels that can't be seen from picture

bwhitehead

Hey all I am in no hurry as I am not doing a show this year but starting on learning PE now. I am trying to get my house roof line setup and my Dumb RGB christmas sign setup in PE as well. Couple questions I like to try to represent my preview from looking at my house  from across the street. In the picture there will be some sides that I will not be able to see. Would it be best to setup my roof lines from looking above instead? I take it that is the only way to define the pixel map right? 

Second question is making my Merry Christmas sign in prop def using custom I will need to make my letters individually I understand that but since each letter is dumb rgb around 50 nodes do I just outline in the custom box grid using 1 or x not sure what to use. I understand if it was I would use the number the pixel cordinates to 1,2,3,4 etc Would I do the same for dumb as well. Sorry it this doesn't make since just want to do this once. 

Also I have a request is there a way to make the Prop Def screen scale able to enlarge it so we are not scrolling back on fourth in 2in by 2in box? I got use to madrix (in which this really reminds me of) where in the patch generator we defined our pixels and moved them how we wanted to made quick work of setting up things like roof lines. Pretty quickly too. 

Thanks for the Help

In the picture there will be some sides that I will not be able to see. Would it be best to set up my roof lines from looking above instead?

You could, but that would not be my personal preference. Instead I would use a photo editor to patch together views from multiple sides and use that as the preview background. See the first attachment as an example.

post-2660-0-08719600-1448595980_thumb.gi

Second question is making my Merry Christmas sign in prop def using custom I will need to make my letters individually I understand that but since each letter is dumb rgb around 50 nodes do I just outline in the custom box grid using 1 or x not sure what to use. I understand if it was I would use the number the pixel cordinates to 1,2,3,4 etc Would I do the same for dumb as well. 

Using a custom grid for your prop definition should work fine. Since your prop is dumb RBG, you would use "1" for the first letter, "2" for the second letter, etc. Each number in the grid represents 3 channels. Note that the number of 1's or the number of 2's in the custom grid does not matter - whether you have one "1" or 10 1's, you are still reserving 3 channels for the first set of dumb RGB lights. 

Also, most people create their custom grid in Excel first, then paste the result into the custom grid. It is just easier to edit in Excel. The second attachment shows an example of creating dumb RGB letters in Excel.

post-2660-0-86215200-1448596012_thumb.pn

Also I have a request is there a way to make the Prop Def screen scale able to enlarge it so we are not scrolling back on fourth in 2in by 2in box? I got use to madrix (in which this really reminds me of) where in the patch generator we defined our pixels and moved them how we wanted to made quick work of setting up things like roof lines.

See my comment about creating the custom grid in Excel (or another spreadsheet program) first, then pasting into the custom grid - much easier.

If your rooflines are made up of straight runs of lights, that can be created very quickly in Preview Design. I use a "Matrix-Horizontal" shape that is 1 pixel high for my rooflines. Make a few of those, rotate them into place and you are done!

Hope that helps,

Matt

Thanks Matt, that does help. I will be working on it this weekend. I am also going to incorporate my neighbors house into my display next year. Really want to use PE to sequence instead of using my madrix which I will keep for my Mega tree since I already own it. Hopefully it works out.