Light-O-Rama Forums

Whole House of Pixels

cliftonneff

Wanted to give a quick update and describe how I ended up making it all work. Full disclosure I'm an engineer so I probably did it the most difficult way but the most scientific.

I ended up loading each of my 405 RGBs in as individual bulbs. I did this by modifying the XLM file that props are stored in for Pixel Editor via Excel scripting.

A quick summary:

1 - AutoCAD drawing of Front of House.

2 - Position lights on front of house as blocks with tags indicating Universe and Channel

3 - Export light block coordinates and tags to excel

4 - Script into correct XML format to match pixel editor file format

5 - Load into pixel editor

6 - Group lights into "Whole House" "Window 1" "Window 2" . . . . using the "Use Preview" selection so that they use their relative possition to each other.

7 - Program :)

That being said I ended up with the attached and I'm really happy with the results. This option gave me a lot of flexibility to be able to modify the lights to get them layed out in just the right way that they appear on the house, with corners at the right locations, bulbs being turned off. I'm also set up for if I change their locations slightly when they go up next year.

I finished my first sequence last night and the neighbors are already blown away so that is the real win. It's my first year doing animated lighting (or really any lighting) at all so I'm thrilled with the results.  Thanks for all of the help.

post-16501-0-07605400-1449081290_thumb.p

Edited by cliftonneff