Light-O-Rama Forums

Can't use multi function LED lights?

Idodishez

First year doing LOR. I decided to go w LED right off the bat to avoid any need to upgrade later, not have to deal w "one bulb goes out whole string goes out", increased power requirements etc. so, I bought 16 sets of LED lights to use w a CTB16PCg3 controller. The lights are the multi function type where they have 8 different "modes" or whatever they ante. Flash, fade, twinkle, solid, etc. Obviously I don't want these features as I'll be using LOR to control all those functions. I figured I'd just sent them "solid" and be good to go. That's not proving to be the case. I'll set them at solid, but they don't always stay in that mode. After unplugging and plugging back in, or after using the LOR controller to turn the strings (channels) on and off, the strings change modes and are no longer on "solid".

These are the light string types I bought.

10M 100 LED Fairy Light String Red LED Lights for Christmas Party Xmas https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LTS4RG/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_WiKuwbM58ZD6T

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LTS4RG/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_WiKuwbM58ZD6T

Did I mess up? Can you not use the multi function LED strings w LOR? I honestly don't know if I could find LED lights that DONT have those multi function abilities.

Did I just mess up by getting the cheap sets from China off amazon? Do all sets lose their "mode" settings after losing power?

Anyone ever opened one of the (8 function) control boxes up and bypassed the flashing portion so it's just solid all the time?

Let me know where I screwed up.

Thanks

I see nobody replied to your post yet. The short answer is no those won't work without modification. As far as bypassing I don't know how familiar you are with electronics. And I don't know if I would be comfortable trying to walk you through this there's way too many things you would need to know. I think your choices are trying to order commercial grade lights from one of the online suppliers. Or your other option is making a run to a big box store. Seeing that time is running short I think your run to the big box store and getting what will work for you for now is your best choice. As far as the lights that you bought They won't be a total waste you should be able to use them some place inside your house. Keep this in mind if there was a cheaper option for doing this we would be posting it all over the place in these forums. And there's a huge difference in quality of lights especially the LED's and you're going to get what you pay for

Edited by Ebuechner

Hello Idodishez,

Ebuechner is right, the multi-function leds don't typically work with CTB16PC controller.  Each vendor is different and some run at different voltages but most have a transformer in the multi-function controller and convert to DC.  You could try cutting off the multi function but would need something like a LOR CMB16D-QC which is a DC controller.  But Like Ebuechner said, use these lights in the house and go get some at a local store for this year then get some commercial leds in the spring with the online suppliers.  Goodluck.

First year doing LOR. I decided to go w LED right off the bat to avoid any need to upgrade later, not have to deal w "one bulb goes out whole string goes out", increased power requirements etc. so, I bought 16 sets of LED lights to use w a CTB16PCg3 controller. The lights are the multi function type where they have 8 different "modes" or whatever they ante. Flash, fade, twinkle, solid, etc. Obviously I don't want these features as I'll be using LOR to control all those functions. I figured I'd just sent them "solid" and be good to go. That's not proving to be the case. I'll set them at solid, but they don't always stay in that mode. After unplugging and plugging back in, or after using the LOR controller to turn the strings (channels) on and off, the strings change modes and are no longer on "solid". These are the light string types I bought. 10M 100 LED Fairy Light String Red LED Lights for Christmas Party Xmas https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LTS4RG/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_WiKuwbM58ZD6T https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LTS4RG/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_WiKuwbM58ZD6T Did I mess up? Can you not use the multi function LED strings w LOR? I honestly don't know if I could find LED lights that DONT have those multi function abilities. Did I just mess up by getting the cheap sets from China off amazon? Do all sets lose their "mode" settings after losing power? Anyone ever opened one of the (8 function) control boxes up and bypassed the flashing portion so it's just solid all the time? Let me know where I screwed up. Thanks

With a little modification, they will work. I just did the same thing to s set of blue led netting last week. Open up the controller, and you'll see some pretty basic circuitry. Go to this page: http://www.bigclive.com/noflash.htm for details as to how to make the modification. it's pretty easy.

Mike

You can do it like that.

If the lights have a 24vac transformer, it is even easier. Just get a 30VDC power supply, a LOR CMB16D or if you want a similar DMX dimmer.

Cut the wires either side of the controller and randomly poke the wires on the power supply until you find the combination that makes all lights come on. Some have common negatives and some common positives.

Connect the wires to the controller and you are done. :D

If they are 120v then i recommend removing the controller and adding a bridge rectifier like in the page on Big Clive's website. Don't leave the controller on as they can fill with water quite easily. I had a glued one fill with water last year and was like that for a week. Luckily it was a 24vac one but they are normally the same things. If it happened to 120vac lights then you will have a bad short and it will probably ruin a triac.

But be so careful with strings of those sorts! They look similar to the picture at the bottom of Big Clive's page. I would never but a string like that. I only buy low voltage 24vac multi-function lights. I have one string of mains voltage LED lights (I may have some rope light) they are commercial christmas lights and are very well made.

First year doing LOR. I decided to go w LED right off the bat to avoid any need to upgrade later, not have to deal w "one bulb goes out whole string goes out", increased power requirements etc. so, I bought 16 sets of LED lights to use w a CTB16PCg3 controller. The lights are the multi function type where they have 8 different "modes" or whatever they ante. Flash, fade, twinkle, solid, etc. Obviously I don't want these features as I'll be using LOR to control all those functions. I figured I'd just sent them "solid" and be good to go. That's not proving to be the case. I'll set them at solid, but they don't always stay in that mode. After unplugging and plugging back in, or after using the LOR controller to turn the strings (channels) on and off, the strings change modes and are no longer on "solid". These are the light string types I bought. 10M 100 LED Fairy Light String Red LED Lights for Christmas Party Xmas https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LTS4RG/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_WiKuwbM58ZD6T https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LTS4RG/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_WiKuwbM58ZD6T Did I mess up? Can you not use the multi function LED strings w LOR? I honestly don't know if I could find LED lights that DONT have those multi function abilities. Did I just mess up by getting the cheap sets from China off amazon? Do all sets lose their "mode" settings after losing power? Anyone ever opened one of the (8 function) control boxes up and bypassed the flashing portion so it's just solid all the time? Let me know where I screwed up. Thanks

With a little modification, they will work. I just did the same thing to s set of blue led netting last week. Open up the controller, and you'll see some pretty basic circuitry. Go to this page: http://www.bigclive.com/noflash.htm for details as to how to make the modification. it's pretty easy.

Mike

This is awesome. Thanks! May save me from having 16 sets to replace immediately.

This is awesome. Thanks! May save me from having 16 sets to replace immediately.

I was bummed like you when I received the nets and they wouldn't "remember" the last setting they were on. There's an even easier way to make the mod. Those thyristors have 3 legs and that mod page shows you how to jump a pair of legs on each one by soldering a wire across each leg of the pair. Just clip the thyristor off at the body so you're left with the 3 leads for each one coming from the pcb. Now, just twist the pair of legs from each one and clip off the third so you don't short anything out. Solder them if you want, but twisting them together should suffice.

Mike

I think that it is better to remove the multi function controller boxes completely. They are badly made and could fill with water.

I was bummed like you when I received the nets and they wouldn't "remember" the last setting they were on. There's an even easier way to make the mod. Those thyristors have 3 legs and that mod page shows you how to jump a pair of legs on each one by soldering a wire across each leg of the pair. Just clip the thyristor off at the body so you're left with the 3 leads for each one coming from the pcb. Now, just twist the pair of legs from each one and clip off the third so you don't short anything out. Solder them if you want, but twisting them together should suffice.

Mike

I ended up doing it this way. Thanks a bunch!

i use multi-function led icicle lights on some mini trees. The controller box is with a knob to select the function. NOT the push button. They work fine, no glitches. 

• The topic was locked