Light-O-Rama Forums

One Color Mega Tree - Which Color Looks Best?

gorichgo

I'm limited on channels (16) to devote to a mega tree and I can't decide whether to do green or white clear lights.  What looks best?  Your thoughts/experience is appreciated.

Thanks

You didn't mention blue that usually has the best bang for the buck. That being said my tree is white. I did blue with a spiral tree.

16 channels is a lot I think. My mega tree only has 12 channels, but I'm sure different type / build.

9 for tree- red, white, blue. One green wrap and two for the star on top.

16 channels is a lot I think. My mega tree only has 12 channels, but I'm sure different type / build.

9 for tree- red, white, blue. One green wrap and two for the star on top.

16ch a lot?  I thought that was the standard.  10' mega tree, 16 strands of 100 count light strings (each strand is 20' so I'm thinking about folding them to make tree look thicker).  Each strand to a channel.  Am I doing this wrong? 

You can do a up and over type tree and use only 8 channels for each color if you don't mind the front of the tree and the back looking the same. That way you could have 2 colors.

16 channels, each strand is the normal way to light a tree.

Edited by DougP

It doesn't sound like you're doing it wrong to me. Having two strands per channel will help it look fuller when you are doing a single-channel chase. 16 channels for a mega tree is pretty common. If you're using shared sequences you'll find that most of the time a shared sequence will have 16 channel setup. When using a shared sequence it's easier to double up eight channels versus trying to cut 16 in half. Down the line you can add more controllers and different colors. The second most common set up I've seen is 8 channels per color. But when you're running a chase it's not as smooth as 16 channels. But with 8 channels per color two controllers will get you three colors plus a star and extras.

It doesn't sound like you're doing it wrong to me. Having two strands per channel will help it look fuller when you are doing a single-channel chase. 16 channels for a mega tree is pretty common. If you're using shared sequences you'll find that most of the time a shared sequence will have 16 channel setup. When using a shared sequence it's easier to double up eight channels versus trying to cut 16 in half. Down the line you can add more controllers and different colors. The second most common set up I've seen is 8 channels per color. But when you're running a chase it's not as smooth as 16 channels. But with 8 channels per color two controllers will get you three colors plus a star and extras.

You can do a up and over type tree and use only 8 channels for each color if you don't mind the front of the tree and the back looking the same. That way you could have 2 colors.

16 channels, each strand is the normal way to light a tree.

Great ideas!  Thank you!

100 count light strings (each strand is 20' ).

That doesn't add up. For LEDs and I think ican, 100' would be 33' with 4" spacing, not 20'. Better check your length (or your count of bulbs) just to make sure.

I have 16 channels, three strands per channel. Gives a nice full look. But my mega tree is 33' tall too.

Blue or white is best IMHO if just one color is used.

Edited by Santas Helper

That doesn't add up. For LEDs and I think ican, 100' would be 33' with 4" spacing, not 20'. Better check your length (or your count of bulbs) just to make sure.

I have 16 channels, three strands per channel. Gives a nice full look. But my mega tree is 33' tall too.

Blue or white is best IMHO if just one color is used.

Home Accents 100 mini lights (not LED) 20ft 7in lighted length from Home Depot

I have two megatrees both identical, spiraled. They have 16 strings CW and 16 CCW, therefore 32 channels each tree. Both are commanded backwards of each other therefore creating a dance effect. I couldn't decide on color so I went with "Multi's" but if I was to order a lot of strings again, I'd do Blue.

I think that's a good choice. You will be pleased with the WOW effect that blue has specially if its LED

Edited by Ebuechner

Damn, don't tell me that!   I've already exceeded my budget this year.   I was going to buy the cheap blue mini lights from Home Depot.  How am I going to explain to the wife her xmas present is in the front year?  lol

• Like 1

Sorry, didn't mean a lot like its not normal. Many on here do it.  Meant a lot as in that 16 plenty to make many choices.

I also don't use minis, I use C6 LED's so 9 strings with one green wrap is a good fill. IMO

Hope to move up next year to more channels, need another controller, so not sure how many.

Definitely LED blue! Don't even waste your money on blue incans that will only look blue for the first week or until the first rain.

As for the number of strands/channels, I say 12 minimum and 16 optimal. IMO fewer than 12 channels makes the tree look too choppy unless it's spinning at a pretty fast rate. Eight channels would not be my advice at all. Even with excellent sequencing, it's awfully easy to make 8 channels look lame.

And if there's any possible way to talk you into a spiral tree rather than a straight-line tree, I'll gladly spend the rest of the evening trying. Yes, there's that much difference between the two!

Edited by George Simmons
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

mine is a sprial tree 16 channels.. I have them alternating in the strings blue and multicolor.. 8 channels for each color..