Light-O-Rama Forums

New idea in enclosures

Mr Frosty

Mr Frosty wrote:

I was thinking that military ammo cans would make great enclosures, they are metal, waterproof & can be secured?

any ideas or comments

As it is airtight you might run into a condensation buildup problem inside the ammo can when operating in cold climates.

I was thinking about building an aluminum box to put all my controllers inwith running all my power supplies to one terminal bar like what is in breaker boxes would this work or would it make too much heat?I f I put a series of vents in the box would this help?

Mr Frosty wrote:

I was thinking that military ammo cans would make great enclosures, they are metal, waterproof & can be secured?

any ideas or comments

It has been done before...

Be certain to ground the metal for safety! :)

The SportMart around here has ammo boxes, but the non conductive plastic kind ;)

They work pretty well, not a ton of room in the box to run the wires, but they do the trick. The other boxes I have used are the clear plastic camping food boxes. Its handy seeing the LED though the cover, and the handle is rather useful.

Haydenp wrote:

The SportMart around here has ammo boxes, but the non conductive plastic kind :)

They work pretty well, not a ton of room in the box to run the wires, but they do the trick. The other boxes I have used are the clear plastic camping food boxes. Its handy seeing the LED though the cover, and the handle is rather useful.

Do you have a picture of this? I'd like to see how this works.

There was a discussion like this in the newbie section. I still think the enclosures available from LOR are a good deal.

The problem with using something other than an electrical type of enclosure is the "what if" factor. If you use something that is not UL approved, will you homeowners insurance cover you if something disastrous happens? Not likely. May not happen either, but you never know. Look on eBay for electrical enclosures. There's always some worthy enclosures there. Thats where I got mine! Just make sure you get at least a NEMA 3R if you using it outside.

Attached files 149188=8728-hoffman box.jpg

wow, that is almost frightening. :)

I agree that the LOR boxes are great. I just used the odd boxes for the units I bought a few years back, before the LOR boxes were available. All my new units are in the LOR boxes.

so that box of yours... got a pic of the inside?

I could just leave it there, it's a waterproof NEMA 3R enclosure. But I don't want to subject it to the elements all year. I figure it will last many years longer that way. I have seen them after 10 years of service and the enclosures need painted every couple of years. If I planned on leaving it out all the time, I would have bought a stainless steel enclosure.

So it's in the garage for the off season. I also want to do some extra work to it. I have room for another controller and will install that when I get that far. Although I am looking at a new enclosure and adding a few more controllers. I should have taken the enclosure that I could have gotten for free but I never figured I would want more! But with this hobby, I have found, I am needing more than I could have ever expected.

My wife says I'm like a drug addict! Now that I have experimented with it, I NEED more! Oh help me, I think I'm having withdrawal symptoms!

So I was telling you all about buying enclosures on ebay and one tripped my fancy! So I guess I'm a proud owner of a new enclosure. Now I need to get rid of the one I already have. Any one interested? Since there is not a place on here to list things, I posted it over at Planet Christmas!

Here is the link:

http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/forum57/21595.html

I'm selling it one way or another so if your interested, let me know!

Have a good day!

Don

• 1 month later...