Light-O-Rama Forums

G3-MP3 dual network not working

Jim Hans

So.... been doing this for 8 years and know my way around LOR pretty good.  I's been a long time since I've been stumped but I am and need help by this weekend's opening show party.  I'm sure I'm missing something simple but....

G3-MP3 with firmware 5.32.  Running 9 Gen 2 & 3 LOR controllers on the regular LOR network.  this year I added 2 CCP's and 8 10w floods so I decided to run these guys on Aux A.  Not sure if one network would bog down but since 2 networks are available.... why not as I am planning on adding more RGB.  Problem is nothing is running on the Aux A network from the SD card. 

Even though I am not running the show off of a computer, I ran the LOR network preferences program and put the regular network on COM 3 and the Aux A on Com 7.  on all my sequences the CCP's and Floods are all assigned to Aux A.  When I plug my computer into the Aux A network the HU finds the units and the  CCP's and Floods work fine so it's not a cat 5 issue. 

I create the SD card using the HU according to the instruction book yet only the regular network plays when the SD card is inserted.  In step 3 of the create show page in HU the only checked boxes are the remove MP3 headers, the new generation 3 director and dual network boxes.  Net 1 says regular LOR network and Net 2 says it's Aux A.  I set both speeds to 57.5K since I wasn't sure if the 2 year old floods were gen 3 and could run at 500K (subject of a different post).  So that's all the details.

What am I missing?  Is there something I need to do to each sequence other than set the controllers/channels to the right network? Is there something I need to do to the G3-MP3 via HU?  Is there something else I needed to do to the CCP's and floods via the HU?  I'm stumped and I have 3 days to fix it!!!!!   Help.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim, did you get an answer to your issue?

I have the standalone G3-MP3 Director and I am having the exact same problem except I am trying to use the enhanced protocol and Net 2 seems to be dead.  I can get either regular lights or the CCR/CCP working on Net 1, but according to the controllers there is never a signal detected on Net 2.  I checked, no bent pins in the Net 2 socket and I have switched out cables multiple times.  Is there a jumper, a switch or a software setting?  I checked the hardware utility, there doesn't seem be any options to turn on the Net 2 except when you create an SD card.

I only have one USB device, so can only test one network at a time from my computer, but verified my sequences using SE/PE work with Aux A and Enhanced protocol.  I have made three sets of sequence:  With CCR/CCP on Aux A and everything else on Regular, everything including CCR/CCP on Regular, CCR/CCP on Regular and everything else on Aux A.  With everything on Regular I can get normal controllers to work with enhanced turned off and CCR/CCP to work with enhanced turned on but not both at the same time as the HU suggests.  Nothing works on Net 2 no matter how it is set.I have tested every possible wiring scenario I can come up with, the controllers connected to Net 2 never stop flashing, like there is no signal.

Been working on this since yesterday morning, was supposed to go live tonight but looks like that is not happening.

I have to say for the first time in my 8 years with LOR I am stumped...

Jim, did you get an answer to your issue?

I have the standalone G3-MP3 Director and I am having the exact same problem except I am trying to use the enhanced protocol and Net 2 seems to be dead.  I can get either regular lights or the CCR/CCP working on Net 1, but according to the controllers there is never a signal detected on Net 2.  I checked, no bent pins in the Net 2 socket and I have switched out cables multiple times.  Is there a jumper, a switch or a software setting?  I checked the hardware utility, there doesn't seem be any options to turn on the Net 2 except when you create an SD card.

I only have one USB device, so can only test one network at a time from my computer, but verified my sequences using SE/PE work with Aux A and Enhanced protocol.  I have made three sets of sequence:  With CCR/CCP on Aux A and everything else on Regular, everything including CCR/CCP on Regular, CCR/CCP on Regular and everything else on Aux A.  With everything on Regular I can get normal controllers to work with enhanced turned off and CCR/CCP to work with enhanced turned on but not both at the same time as the HU suggests.  Nothing works on Net 2 no matter how it is set.I have tested every possible wiring scenario I can come up with, the controllers connected to Net 2 never stop flashing, like there is no signal.

Been working on this since yesterday morning, was supposed to go live tonight but looks like that is not happening.

I have to say for the first time in my 8 years with LOR I am stumped...

Do you have Aux A running at 500 speed? Did you update all the firm ware on your Lor CCD's? Also update the dual port  Gn3 mp3 player too. In your sequences are you sure you put those ccd's on Aux A? When you gave them an ID did you (lets say called one 0A / 0B the 2nd ccp controller would be 0C / 0D & so on.

S4 v4.2.10 Pro

G3-MP3 director firmware version 5.32,

CCR firmware 1.19

​Other controllers are no CCP but CMB with dumb pixels, CMB firmware 1.05

Removed enhanced network from the equation, just trying to use a regular sequence from SE.  Prior to eliminating enhanced, tried all speeds from 57 to 500.  No problem running enhanced only devices on Net 1, but as mentioned above none of the controllers showed a signal on Net 2.

Split the controllers in the sequence, half on Regular, half on Aux A, same SD card, same SE Sequence, with the controllers on Net 1 half of them work (as expected the Regular network ones), move the whole network to Net 2, music plays but none of the controllers show they are connected.  G3-MP3 reboots in between as expected due to loss of power from moving the network connection, so it is receiving power from Net 2 but no communications.

Same sequence run directly from SE with controllers connected to PC, with network utility set to Regular first half of controllers work normally, with network utility set to Aux A second half of controllers work as expected.

Network tests on PC verified that the half of the controllers configured for Aux A respond to Aux A as expected.  CCD's are 0A, 0B, 10, 11.

No conflicts, using a PE only sequence I can put everything on Regular and it operates fine.

In the Hardware Utility when you clicked on SD card is for new Gn3 Director unit, did you also remember to click on with duel ports?

Yes, I selected the two options, "SD Card is for a NEW Generation 3 Director" - which the front of my director says G3-MP3, once you click that one then you can click "With Dual Ports"

The Second port options only show up if you have more than one port specified in your sequence.  If you have only one port even if it is "Aux A" Net 1 will show "Aux A" so you must have more than one port to select options for Net 2 otherwise it will still be grayed out.  I have verified this but since my Net 2 doesn't work I can't test it, but even if you have Aux C, Aux H and Aux J, Net 1 will be the first one, in this case Aux C and Net 2 will be the second one Aux H...

So you can verify your sequence has the right network configuration when you create your SD because only the first two networks will show up when you select dual ports.

I know that more than answers your question, but since I did the testing I posted some of this for others that may be having trouble getting their networks to work.

Edited by mb323

• 8 months later...

I did get it to work perfectly.  I don't remember all the details but my mistake, as I recall, was in the sequence editor and not assigning the channels correctly.  As is usually the case, after hours of frustration and looking at all the far flung things that could be wrong it turned out to be simple operator error.