Light-O-Rama Forums

Squirrel Damage

plasmadrive

Well this is different... I had what appears to be squirrel damage to a string of lights in one of my big redwoods.. Seem the little pest chewed off the little cylinder housing that has the diodes and resistor inside and carried it away somewhere.. WTF?
Time to get out the traps...

Unfortunately that scenario has been all-too-common around here. Hence my daily, never-ending campaign to rid our area of them. I'm especially inspired by the red ones - far, far more destructive than the gray variety. I'll use any method - legal or not, PC or not, eco-friendly or not - I don't care. Not even a little. If it works, and the squirrel goes bye-bye, it's in my bag of dirty tricks.

I am with Mr. Simmons on this one. Guess I will have to go buy a pellet rifle, as not else has worked.

Yup, Daisy and me are great friends.

Edited by George Simmons

Make sure it is a Red Ryder carbine action 200-shot range model with the compass in the stock and this thing that tells time.

You can pretend the squirrels are Black Bart.

lol

Jerry

• Like 1

Hate having to buy a pellet rifle. They cost almost as much as a deer rifle. I think the smallest cal. I have us a 223. I'll have to check. Lol

I inflict damage to red squirrels year round. Grays aren't too big an issue here so I leave them alone (for the most part).

Traps and/or a well placed .21 hollow point pellet is all I use.

And this is one reason I haven't wrapped my trees in lights. I have a bunch of trees with nice potential for lights, but I'm afraid the tree rats would eat them up.

Well this is different... I had what appears to be squirrel damage to a string of lights in one of my big redwoods.. Seem the little pest chewed off the little cylinder housing that has the diodes and resistor inside and carried it away somewhere.. WTF?
Time to get out the traps...

Hey, jes saying, squirrel makes a mighty fine meal.

• Like 1

Haven't had one recently.  I read that they were high in cholesterol.

This is not the time of year to be watching cholesterol. Its the holidays.

They may be high in lead though. :P

I've found that it takes a surprisingly small amount of lead to permanently incapacitate tree rats.

I think they get high on cedar berries. We've got cedar trees lining the driveway and the red squirrels are so sluggish when they're sitting on a branch chowing down that I nailed three with three successive shots just a couple days ago. I'm not that good.

Our rabbit population has been fairly well kept in check the past couple years by a mixture of some feral cats, a pair of bald eagles, and even a fox prowling the river bank. Sure saves me a lot of antifreeze.

Edited by George Simmons

I have one tree in my whole yard.  It's a black walnut.  The squirrels are so content with the thousands of walnuts that fall all over the ground, they don't even bother with the wires.

I have one tree in my whole yard.  It's a black walnut.  The squirrels are so content with the thousands of walnuts that fall all over the ground, they don't even bother with the wires.

I can't believe I'm writing this, but this is very likely the only time in my life I'll ever feel anything even remotely resembling squirrel envy.

Edited by George Simmons

I have found 100s of walnuts in my lawn from my neighbor's trees..  The squirrels seem to love bury them in my yard and not theirs.. While I walk around putting stuff up I can feel them under my foot.. I stop and dig them out and toss em.. the squirrels seem to want to dig up my lawn in the process of finding them again.. they gotta go. My trap will be here today..