Light-O-Rama Forums

ELL help!

dhager

My computer connects to the ell via usb485b. I have 4 controllers. If I use the V4 ell I can old find two controllers via the hardware utility, if I use the v5 ell I can find all 4. Why?

You'll need to see if they are on the same frequency channel numbers and both running at the same speed. To do this, plug in each one at a time, use the HWU to check.

What do you have on the OTHER (the RECEIVE) side in terms of controllers?  V4 needs a higher voltage than V5 and not all controllers supply the higher voltage.

Also, what is the distance between the V4 and the controller?

The entire set up is like this:

Unit 1 - ELL is V5 controller is a CTB16 PC ver 4.40

Unit 2 - ELL is V4 Controller is CTBPC G3

Unit 3 - ELL is V5 controller is a CTB16PC G 3

Unit 4 - ELL is V4 Controller is a CTB16PC G3

Each ELL is mounted in each controller box with the supplied green network cable, no modifications made to cables.

Computer has USB 485B with ELL V5 attached

In this set up I can use the hardware utility and see 3/4 controllers.  Unit 4 is not seen.  If I moved unit 4 to share the ELL of unit 3 it is recognized then along with the other 3 (4/4).  If I change the ELL at the computer to V4 using the above configuration with unit 4 sharing unit 3 ELL I can only find unit 3 and 4, will not recognize unit 1 or 2.   All ELLS are set to frequency 31, speed is 57,600, power level 15 dbm.  I just cannot seem to make it work that each unit has its own ELL and be recognized in HU.  I can run it with only the 3 ELLS in the yard but it drives me nuts that I cannot get all 4 ELLS and all 4 controllers to work this way. 

Did you try plugging ELL Unit 4's Cat5 into the other port...both on the ELL and try the other port on the CTB16PCG3? Are the fingers of the RJ45 contacts clean?

Yes, I can use the same port on the ctb12pcg3 and connect it to the v5 and it worked fine.  did not look closely at the pins on the ell v4, will check them tonight. 

This seems odd but I think I have narrowed it down to the antenna of the ell. Swapped lots of things today, got it to work with a different antenna. Does lor have replacements?

I've got an ELL failure too but in this one's case, its over a year old so not under warranty. Strange in that this single ELL, will work within a few feet of the transceiver but 25 feet away, it will not. I tend to suspect its the antenna too. I just direct wired it's controller to another one.