Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixcon 16 Device configuration could not be loaded

dicksonhabetz

I have a Pixcon 16 trying to set up. I have tried to get it to configure and have had no luck. I have uninstalled the S4 suite and reset the Pixcon 16. 

I have forced the ip address and I have done the bootloader reset. I have updated the firmware and as soon as the firmware is updated I click on it and I get the message:

The device configuration could not be loaded. This could be due to a hardware problem, a network problem, or a configuration issue. Would you like to run the troubleshooter. 

If I click to run the troubleshooter it will change the ip address since I am hooked directly to it (no router) with a static ip address.

Then I click on it again and I get the same message: The device configuration could not be loaded blah blah blah. 

So I can't get it to do anything other than show up when it searches for the pixcon 16. 

Please help I am desperate!!

Dan Richardson

Figured out it was the firewall. I was able to turn it off and was able to configure the board. Now I cant get the sequence editor to control the lights. At no time has the status red led stopped blinking. How do I get the thing to start communicating with the SE so I can test the strips that I have hooked up.

Test mode works and will turn the strips on and cycle through the colors, but I just can't get anything to work from the SE..... grrrrr

Update the firmware on the PixCon16 to the latest available.  Then check the status lights.  Old versions of firmware used the status lights differently than what is in the doc.

Seems as though there are many people having many types of problems with the pixcon.  I plan on purchasing 1 after Christmas, kinda hoping that all the kinds are ironed out by then.  So here's my question: are the problems people are having related with trying to use it as e1.31 or LOR protocol?  I am not comfortable enough with networking, therefore LOR protocol is sufficient for me.  Should I anticipate the same problems as someone using it as e1.31?

I too have a Pixon ready for NEXT year. I am also planning to flash new firmware to all devices after this years show is complete. Do I really need to flash my existing devices (LOR standard controllers and LOR dumb RGB boards) if I only have the Pixcon running on a separate enhanced network as I am using a G3MP3? Do I need to flash the G3MP3 and Pixcon only?

Planning to run on LOR protocol only....no e1.31.

Please advise.

Thanks

FYI...

The problem is not with the board or the LOR Software.  The issue is that most people don't understand how to work with IP networking.  If you do not have a grasp on how IP works, you will have a lot of trouble.  We've tried to make things easier, and will continue to do so, but even then there is only so much we can do.  

Boards like the PixCon16 are not plug and play.  Couple that with customers who first exposure to pixels comes with a PixCon16, and it is easy to blame the hardware or software.  The learning curve for Pixels is already steap, and when you add in a complete new way of talking to a controller (that requires some computer savvy) frustration can set in.

If you want easy to deal with pixels, use our Cosmic Color devices.  If you are willing to put the time and most importantly effort into learning about E1.31 and pixels, the PixCon is a great board that has many advantages over Cosmic Color devices.

Ok, so is it still IP networking if I'm using it as ELOR?  Having worked with CCP's and CMB24's, I can easily assign unit id's to them and configure them to be on the correct network.  I don't know if that is considered IP networking or not.  E1.31 is still unchartered territory for me and I have no intentions of using the pixcon as anything but ELOR for the immediate future.  So if you tell me that it's essentially the same as configuring a CMB24, then I'm not afraid!!!  If you are telling me that I still need to learn to network and route and anything else that I currently don't get, then I'm afraid.  Very afraid!

Same here. I have (6) regular LOR controllers and (3) CMB24's all running on one LOR network from a G3MP3 with NO issues. I bought a Pixcon16 to use next year running also on LOR network. Looks like this needs to run on LOR's enchanced network.

so:

Can I keep all existing controllers as is running on the slower LOR network?

I plan to run ONLY the Pixcon 16 on a separate enchanced LOR network. Do I need to flash new firmware to my G3MP3 and my new Pixcon 16 controller?

Thanks

The PixCon16 will run on an LOR Enhanced Network at 500K or 1000K.

You still however need to know a little about IP networking since the initial configuration of the board is done through the Ethernet port, not the LOR port.

I shall ask again:

Can I keep all existing controllers as is; running on the slower LOR network?

I plan to run ONLY the Pixcon 16 on a separate enchanced LOR network. Do I need to flash new firmware to my G3MP3 and my new Pixcon 16 controller?

Thanks

Yes, keep all your existing stuff on your existing network.  Put PixCon on separate network (AUX A), run it Enhanced at 500 or 1000K

You probably will need to update firmware on both.

I don't know about the whole "it is your inexperience with networking, not our hardware" argument. I bought two of them this summer. I connected them to 1 pc a brand new router and a a gigabi switch, have all firewalls and a/v turned off and I am having a horrendous time making these work. When i first received them I tested it out with a spare 6803 strip and it worked great.  I had ordered some ws2801 strings and that is when I started having problems.  I would try to reconfigure the card and the software would not find it or it would say the dhcp address would change, etc etc.  I tried pinging the card and would lose about 70 percent of the pings.  I busted out the second card, I can ping it 100% but have yet to be able to make it work using the 6803 strip or the 2801's and the network configurator still only finds the cards on occasion.  These devices are a bust this year.

Edited by saveglamis

Well now I feel silly, I forgot to have listener running. I also turned off high speed, now I am able to ping both cards at 100%

• The topic was locked