Light-O-Rama Forums

cbt16pc messed up channel

lightsonbelmar

I just put together cbt16 pc controller. The one you solder. I set it all up plugged my lights in and ran a test. Everything excel my channel 3 is working. Is there away to test to figure out why its not getting any responce. This is my first yr will lor. Thanks in advance

Your post isn't totally clear, I'm assuming you mean channel 3 is *not* working.

The good news is, from what you've said it's very unlikely your board is hosed.  I'd bet a beer that you forgot to solder a joint somewhere -- that's definitely happened to me at least once.  Worst case you may need to replace a component or two.  I only have experience with the version-1 boards, not the new ones, but my advice would be the same other than the component numbers I mention may not be right for your board.  Hopefully you tested it out before getting the high-power heat-sync's on it -- I definitely recommend that -- but if not, take those off so you can get to the bottom of the board.  Be careful of the thermal grease, it will stain your clothes, plus you need it once you put it back together.

On the back side of the board, inspect your solder joints on the components around Channel 3 on the left side of the board (right side if you're looking at the bottom).  I solder the spade-lug from both sides so it's physically stronger.  Check all three pins of the triac, the part that attaches to the heat-sync (Q5), make sure those joints are really good.  Check to make sure the optio-isolator/switch chip, the white chip (U9), isn't turned the wrong way, and check all 6 of its pins are soldered.  Check both pins of the resistor (R12) -- and by the way, make sure that R12 is the correct resister, the kit ships with two sets, one set is for 220V, the other is for 110V.  Check the resistor packs near channel 3, in your case R15, I believe there's 8 pins, check them all -- this is where I've made the same mistake.

The other place it could be is up at the shift register towards the middle-top of the board right above the transformer, in your case U4 I think.  Check to make sure all the pins are soldered.

Give the rest of the board a once-over, double check every pin to make sure you soldered it.  There's probably 400 or more solder joints on these boards.  It gets tedious, and it's easy to miss one.  In some cases it'll work without being soldered, until you jostle it just the wrong way.  If one of the high-voltage pins doesn't get soldered, it could cause the joint to heat, arc over, and potentially cause a fire, which would at a minimum ruin your controller, not to mention your day.  Give it an extra once over with good light and a magnifying glass.

Good luck,

-Matt-

• The topic was locked