Light-O-Rama Forums

Maximum cable length? Do I need multiple networks?

Gr8jeepin

I have used LOR for several years now, but over the summer we sold our previous house and moved...  

I have been busy tweaking my sequences to fit my new digs...   but today realized my control boxes might end up quite a distance from my computer.   (possibly around 200 feet or so)

This is the first year that I will be using my CCB in my display.   I have one USB485.   

I have:

2 - LOR1602W 16 channel boxes

2 - 100 bulb - Cosmic Color Bulb strands

1 - 100 bulb - Cosmic color pixel strand

TWO questions.

1) What is the recommended maximum Ethernet cable length?    (including connection between the boxes)

2) Should I purchase a second USB485 to split my network out?

Thanks!

First of all, get the word Ethernet out of the conversation.

The RS-485 spec is 4,000 feet so you should fine.

Thank you.   I appreciate your help.

I am aware that LOR doesn't communicate on an ethernet network but a common connection method is a twisted pair cable commonly known as an ethernet cable.

My question asked about cable length...  and again I thank you for your answer.

I have been reading a lot of posts on this forum...   and while I am thankful for the help there is simply no reason to be rude.

A lot of the responses come across as though the person asking for the help is being talked down upon...   at some point you were a newbie too.

Being chippy just discourages others from getting involved in this hobby.   But again thanks.

• Like 1

And no disrespect to you, but his post wasn't chippy.

You'd be amazed at the number of people, (usually IT types) think it *is* ethernet, and want to stick to the 100m limit.

• Like 1

Ethernet is an electrical signalling system designed to move data between devices.

The Cable is NOT the signalling system, so it is actually incorrect to call it an 'Ethernet' cable.  Many other technologies can and do use Cat5-Cat6:  ESTA DMX and Telephone for 2 quickly off the top of my head.

Standard LOR controllers DO NOT use Ethernet, they use RS485 over CAT5-6 cables.  

Ok, so that sounds a lot like chest beating trying to show alpha geek potential.  Not true.  We correct everyone who incorrectly uses the terminology to reinforce the difference.  If we let you say 'Ethernet' then it is only 1 short step for you (or anyone else who may be reading your message) to think they can hook up a standard LOR controller to their computer through an Ethernet interface.  Do that and you will most like cause damage to the LOR controller and/or the devices on the Ethernet network.  

We also want to use correct terminology because we have some controllers that DO USE Ethernet - like the PixCon16.  In fact, that board can use both RS485 and Ethernet, but on different jacks that both allow for RJ45 CAT5-6.   

Confusing Ethernet and RS485 can be hazardous to your wallet.  

And it's newbies with an attitude like the OP's that prevents many experts here (including me) from bothering to take the time to answer.

• Like 1

Be cool everyone.  It was just a misunderstanding.  Context can be very easily lost in written communications.  II am quite sure that the OP will acknowledge the miscommunication the next time he is here. 

It's all good.

I meant no disrespect to anyone.   I am VERY appreciative of the help. 

I could or should have said network cable or cat 5 cable (or several other terms).

I certainly understand that it is possible for someone else see the post and without understanding plug it in to a network...  and thus cause themselves all kinds of problems.     (I doubt those people would come to a forum for help, as they are likely to avoid reading any instructions)

My reply was merely pointing out that in looking through the forum - I have seen questions posed in other posts and in which plenty of knowledgeable people make replies or comments that are kind of beating their chest and talking down to the newbie.

I can see you guys are a tight knit group and again I meant no disrespect.   Just asking for you to take it easy on the new guys.

You'd be surprised at the number of posts asking about connecting a sandevices board into a LOR network, which could end up bad. I've always found this board helpful. Jim was just making sure the terminology was correct or someone else might mistaken the info

• The topic was locked