Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie question - connecting WS2811 to LOR

BigSteveG

I'm moving away from the cheap Home Depot animation kit into Lights O Rama.   I have been reading up on the RGB lights and just ordered WS2811 Digital 5M 60/M or 300 LEDs per strip.   I've seen a bunch of different ways to control these devices; Arduino, in line controllers etc.   I bought the digital versions so I can do multiple colors per string.

Reading up on the PixCon16 Pixel Controller it states....   "16 strings of 170 pixels in LOR Enhanced Pixel Mode."     If I read that correctly, my 300 LED WS2811 will not work with this device?   It will only run up to 170 pixels....   

I think the Deluxe DC Board CMB24D is for analog RGB strings since it says dumb RGB devices.

Other ideas then?   I bought the LOR residential starter package so far.

Sorry, the RGB stuff seems to be new and a lot of directions to go.   Just trying to tie them in and eventually make them permanently attached to the house to minimize setup but also have a vast amount of flexibility.

Thanks,

Steve

In LOR mode you can only run 170 pixels.  Even in DMX mode you can only run 170 pixels per universe, but the PixCon16 will allow for *2* universes on a single physical port (compared to LOR mode that will only allow *1* LOR Unit ID per physical port).

Also, depending on the voltage/etc you may not be successful running that many pixels without power injection.  You'll need to read up on that too.

You are correct.  The CMB board is for straight RGB, NOT pixels.

You can also go E1.31 (i've been using Sandevices E6804 and E682. They will add to LOR fine and will control tons of universes and channels. The E6804 is 4 ports and the E682 is 16. I also use a DMX to WS2811 box  as I use DMX heavily.,

You can also go E1.31 (i've been using Sandevices E6804 and E682. They will add to LOR fine and will control tons of universes and channels. The E6804 is 4 ports and the E682 is 16. I also use a DMX to WS2811 box  as I use DMX heavily.,

The PixCon16 *IS* an E1.31 board ;)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the responses folks.   I was confused thinking pixels and LEDs went hand and hand.   After reading the details, I have 100 pixels and 300 LEDs.   I'm not sure this is the best setup for CCR.   I'll have to research but planned on doing this for next years show so I have some time to play around.

Light source: SMD RGB 5050 LED

LED quantity: dual lines, 60 LEDs per meter, 5 meters, total 300 LEDs

Programmable IC: digital WS2811, UCS1903 IC

IC quanity: 20 ICs per meter, 5 meters, total 100 ICs

Pixel number: 20 pixels per meter, 5 meters, total 100 pixels

Working voltage: DC 12V

Power: 14.4W per meter, total 72 watts

Dimension: 5000 x 20 x 2 mm (Length x Width x Thickness)

Protection rate: IP20 non-waterproof is default, IP65, IP67, IP68 is available

Certifications: CE, RoHS 

ccr's are only sold by light o rama   what do you mean best setup for ccr's

I'm still learning "smart" leds but I assumed smart 5050 LEDs were similar to CCR

5050 is just the size of the led 50mm x 50mm, there are all types of smart leds out there and the number will represent their protocol. Some are three wire and some are four wire, here is a list of just a few types that you would need to decide what you want to use:

• WS2811 / WS2812 / TM1804 / TM1803 / TM1812 / SM16715 
  • WS2801 / WS2803
  • TLS3001 / TLS3002 / CY3005
  • LPD6803 / D705 / LPD1101 / USC6909 / UCS6912

You must also ensure that your controller can understand the protocol of the light that you choose.

Edited by Mr. P

• The topic was locked