• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MaxsLightsOwner

• Duke

• lowinhz

• Richard Hamilton

Well, I can tell you that it is Cat5E related. the box with the alarm has a Cat5E in and out port for cables from the computer and to the controllers. Then you plug in a little terminator in the second Cat5E port on the last controller. Since most LOR networks are "Daisy Chained" this terminator will be at the complete end. So I'm guessing if you have a "Y" in your network, you will need 2 of the terminators, one on each end of the "Y".

This is just from what I can tell. I did not make the alarm, and I do not own one currently.

Max McKeever
Max's Lights
www.maxslights.com

Yes to an extent if there is a T in the system each leg of the T would require one of my alarms. The method most people have is 1 to 10 or more controls all in line (daisy chained) so the alarm goes between the first control and the pc ex. pc-usb cord-usb485plug- ethernet cord in to alarm out of alarm to first control then loop all the controls to the last one and a plug that goes in the last control to send the signal back to the alarm. If there is an open in the circuit then the alarm sounds. This way you don't have to have power to any of the controls also.

link is to video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjqfkNNnO5A

• 3 months later...

I want to build the alarm that Jeff has written about. Has anyone tried this solution? What was your experience? I have an old car alarm siren around that I'll hook up to a controller - also bring up the lights. My controllers have the latest firmware in them, I just don't know how to change the n/o to n/c? Any help appreciated.

Jeff

In the discussion about anyone that has a "Y" in their network going out to the controllers. Here is a very basic drawing of what you are going to need to do.

_____2_______________1______
< >
> <
< 1 2 >
----------------- --------------------
| |
1 | | 2
| |
Back to previous
Controller or PC

The "< >" represent the loop in the RJ-45 of the last controller in each leg of the "Y". If you use the RJ-5 or the USB converter that has two outputs then there is going to be more jumpering involved.

Thanks for this thread, it reminded me that I need to get to work on this little item too. I like the idea of using a wall mounted dual jack plate. That will make breaking out the wires easier and a place to install my relay.

As for guns, I have mixed thoughts about this. First, I am thinking of still sticking my shotgun out the door loaded with 00. But at the same time the laws involved in the legal use limits me to the fact that I can only fire my weapon to return fire or if the perps come at me with a hand held weapon "I feared for my life". Here in MO we have the castle doctrine, but this does very little for an activity in my front yard. You cant shoot someone for keying your car, or stealing or just plain vanalizing your display. You could not claim the "I feared for my life" in such crimes. I agree, there slim chance that the kids would have a weapon, but again, ya just never know what you are going up againts.
First line of defence is the lights and alarm horn. Minimize the damage. Motion detectors and switching trip wires to catch vandals / theifs before they do damage is even better.
We can all dream of giving those who would ruin all of our hard work. Some justice at the end of a smoke pole. We can dream of setting up pungi pits and other booby traps like a bear trap. But the minute we act on those dreams is the first step of us taking a step towards being bubba's new girl friend. Just aint worth it. Stay within the law or you become just as bad (and a panel of 12 of your peers will judge you that way) as THEM.

LightORamaDan wrote:

Later this year there will be a "Controller is missing" alarm capability.

Dan

Is this still going to happen this year?

Darryl