Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Editor Text effect

pyrotech

Hello,

I am sequencing a song in PE and I am pretty sure I found a bug.  If I select a group of cells, click modify, and select a text effect, it doesn't work as expected.

For my example, I am adding the text "i want a hippopotamus for Christmas".  I want it to scroll left across my matrix.  The problem is when I play back my sequence, the text pops up on screen and then starts scrolling.  I want it to be revealed from the right side of the screen as the words are spoken.  

In general, I think the text effect needs a lot of work.  some examples...

- I don't want the text to repeat.  Execute one time and that's it.  

- If I use the peakaboo effect, the text doesn't reveal right away...there is the peakaboo delay on the show and the hide.  That doesn't make sense.  It should be whenever I begin the effect, it should immediately show and hold for the specific peakaboo hold time.  

- If I add/delete any cells in the sequencer with the same effect, the timing gets all screwed up.  I should be able to adjust this effect and be able to cut it off (fade it down) whenever i want.

Thanks,

Tim

Hello,

I am sequencing a song in PE and I am pretty sure I found a bug.  If I select a group of cells, click modify, and select a text effect, it doesn't work as expected.

For my example, I am adding the text "i want a hippopotamus for Christmas".  I want it to scroll left across my matrix.  The problem is when I play back my sequence, the text pops up on screen and then starts scrolling.  I want it to be revealed from the right side of the screen as the words are spoken.  

In general, I think the text effect needs a lot of work.  some examples...

- I don't want the text to repeat.  Execute one time and that's it.  

- If I use the peakaboo effect, the text doesn't reveal right away...there is the peakaboo delay on the show and the hide.  That doesn't make sense.  It should be whenever I begin the effect, it should immediately show and hold for the specific peakaboo hold time.  

- If I add/delete any cells in the sequencer with the same effect, the timing gets all screwed up.  I should be able to adjust this effect and be able to cut it off (fade it down) whenever i want.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim,

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback. In the next release:

1) moving text will start off-screen and move on-screen

2) there will be a "repeat" checkbox to indicate whether you want the movement repeated or not.

3) these changes will also be made to the picture effect, since they both share the same movement options.

Not sure what you mean by "If I add/delete any cells in the sequencer with the same effect, the timing gets all screwed up". Could you post a picture or video with an example of what you are seeing?

Matt

If I use the peakaboo effect, the text doesn't reveal right away...there is the peakaboo delay on the show and the hide.  That doesn't make sense.  It should be whenever I begin the effect, it should immediately show and hold for the specific peakaboo hold time.  

This issue will also be fixed in the next release.

Matt

Wow, what service. I can't wait!

Matt, I have to say, you are without a doubt the nicest developer on these forums. I really get a sense that you genuinely care about our comments and simply want to make a kick a$$ program.

I definitely have some frustrations around the lack of synergy around the entire LOR software suite, (the vizualizer program is terrible), but I really think the pixel editor program is a giant leap in the right direction. I can't wait to see what the future holds.

Thanks again for being so accommodating. Have a great weekend.

Tim

• Like 1

Just wanted to input one thought I had on the Text Effect as well.  It would be nice to be able to change the Font size for each word or line rather than the whole effect.

Hey Matt,

I'm not sure if it's possible, but another helpful addition for the text and pictures would be the ability to position the text on both the X and Y axis.  Say, I just wish to fade in some text on the bottom left of my matrix, or top right, you get the idea.

By the way...approx. when do you see the next software release coming?  Before Thanksgiving?

Thanks,

Tim

Edited by pyrotech

I'm learning PE and most of the basic effects (effect generator) work fine.

TEXT and Countdown do not. TEXT leaves a blur like each letter is appearing twice. Scroll works fine as I am just testing the basics. but it scrolls XXMMAASS......

I'm wondering if it is not a firmware problem. Have submitted a help desk question. Pretty sure I have all other settings correct, afte reading forums and help files.

I'm learning PE and most of the basic effects (effect generator) work fine.

TEXT and Countdown do not. TEXT leaves a blur like each letter is appearing twice. Scroll works fine as I am just testing the basics. but it scrolls XXMMAASS......

I'm wondering if it is not a firmware problem. Have submitted a help desk question. Pretty sure I have all other settings correct, afte reading forums and help files.

Can you capture the screen and post it here? A picture is worth a thousand words  :)

I've added "It would be nice to be able to change the Font size for each word or line rather than the whole effect" and "ability to position text in both directions" to the list of requested enhancements.

Matt

Looks like a bad CAT5 cable. Effects generator stuff running smooth now, right up to full washes.

Always the last place you look :)

will have to play with the text more but my matrix 12X25 might just be too small to read even at slow speed.

answers my other thread problem also.

Thanks folks

• 4 months later...

Spent a few hours playing with text trying to get lyrics aligned with my music and struggled with timing and the repeating of the text.  Matt do you have an estimate on the timeline for the updated software for the Pixel Editor with the repeat off option?  I'm trying to decide if I should wait for the update or just do the extra steps import from Super Star, thanks. 

On 3/12/2016 at 3:09 PM, Marty Belisle said:

Spent a few hours playing with text trying to get lyrics aligned with my music and struggled with timing and the repeating of the text.  Matt do you have an estimate on the timeline for the updated software for the Pixel Editor with the repeat off option?  I'm trying to decide if I should wait for the update or just do the extra steps import from Super Star, thanks. 

This option is available in the 4.3.4 beta version. Look in the Important Announcements forum for the download location.

Matt